SSO for Commons

0 Likes
(1)

It's great to have a permalink for each resource I share to Commons, but anyone follows that link and then tries to Import the resource ends up being prompted to login to Canvas.com.  The login page is unfamiliar and therefore suspicious. People give up on importing the resource.

What Commons needs is the same kind of "Sorry, we can't automatically authenticat you. Pick your institution" prompt that we're seeing here, in the Canvas Community.

At the moment, the workaround is to send instructions with our permalinks, "First login to ourinstitution.canvas.com, then come back to this webpage/email/social media post, and follow the permalink. Sigh.

3 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

lindgret
Community Member

This is also causing issues for us and making Canvas Commons much less useful.

Since we have Canvas Commons integrated as a sidebar option in our instance of Canvas, I assumed that I could link directly to a resource from within a Canvas site and have authentication passed over automatically. That's what integration means. 

Having no provision for SSO handling of authentication seems to be a major oversight in how this was designed. Are we missing something important in how this is supposed to work?

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.