Save Annotations on PDF Files

(2)

Teachers share files as assignments or notes with students to use for instruction or assessment purposes. Students are able to access these PDFs and draw, comment, highlight, and write directly on these shared pages. The most recent update to Canvas no longer autosaves their work. For students who need additional time to finish another day or for an assignment/notes that span several days, there is no way for students to annotate their work and save it for use at a later time. For many departments that rely on students annotating, especially mathematics, it makes Canvas useless.

Please add an option for students to "Save" their work after annotating a PDF so that they can later re-open the document and continue working. According to multiple Canvas representatives, this autosave feature was accidental and therefore is a possible addition to the Canvas app.

Comment from Instructure

Thanks to  @esentz ‌ for sharing this idea, and to everyone who has voted and commented on it. Our engineers are aware of this issue and are currently working on a solution, so it’s not necessary to move it forward for Community consideration as an idea. Thanks for your patience.

Tags (2)
23 Comments
stu_jachimiaj
Community Novice

Good.

stu_castorc
Community Novice

Please bring this back and make my life better!!!!!!!

stu_sergeante
Community Novice

#SaveAnnotations

stu_walkerl1
Community Novice

During long labs and difficult assignments, it is super stressful and annoying to lose all my work over and over again. It is affecting my grade in my class so please bring a save option to this. 

stu_descheppl
Community Novice

Please bring this feature back!

stantzm
Community Novice

As a teacher, this is feature of students being able to edit on the pdfs and have it save is beyond invaluable. It allows them to come back to work and finish it later, to edit documents that they need to correct, and so much more. It is not something that is trivial for students (or teachers) but something that benefits all students, no matter how much or how little they use the canvas student app. On a side note, being able to edit in the browser would be a great addition as well! Thank you in advance from myself and my students who are anxiously awaiting the return of this feature!

pengdah
Community Novice

I have a dream, that we can have a canvas that allows us to save documents on the application.

I have a dream, that we can edit documents freely.

I have a dream, that canvas can help make my dream come true.

"Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"

MaKe My DrEaMs CoMe TrUe.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks to  @esentz ‌ for sharing this idea, and to everyone who has voted and commented on it. Our engineers are aware of this issue and are currently working on a solution, so it’s not necessary to move it forward for Community consideration as an idea.

esentz
Community Novice

stefaniesanders‌ - Thank you! Is there an anticipated timeline? Our math department and several other teachers beyond that have stopped using Canvas as a result until that feature can be added.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@esentz ‌ : Our engineers are actively working on it, and the timeline is "as soon as humanly possible," keeping in mind that pushing solutions to the apps are dependent upon the updates being made available by the mobile vendors in the respective app stores.

stu_smithk4
Community Novice

Bring it back,

stu_hessc
Community Novice

Thank You Very Much!!

stu_neffq
Community Novice

Thank you very much!! Smiley Happy 

stu_neffq
Community Novice

amen

stu_shidea
Community Novice

Thank you for listening

stu_sheltona
Community Novice

Thank You!

stu_smithh1
Community Novice

Thank You so much! We appreciate it!

stu_phendg
Community Novice

thank you!!

narmstrong
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

We brought back saving annotations in version 6.3.4 available on the App Store now. Sorry for the trouble.

Nate

iOS Software Engineer

esentz
Community Novice

Nate - yes, the saving has seemed to be fixed.

We are experiencing issues that every time a new updated comes out all previously saved PDFs are erased. They are able to open files that they previously submitted, but any unsubmitted work (such as notes or warm-ups) is no longer saved after recent updates.