Save and Manage External Links with a Course

0 Likes

External links are critical to the success of Canvas courses, links to slide lectures, links to articles and readings, and links to external resources. However, the handling of external links in Canvas is limited.

Currently, instructors can add an external link item to a modules, but they cannot duplicate a link item easily in another module. There is also no external links management page as there is with assignments, pages, quizzes, or files. Nor are links imported from .mbz files when importing from Moodle.

I propose that

1. External links be transformed into manipulable objects similar to (but much simpler than) assignments or pages,
  2. A page to manage external links be added to the menu,
  3. Additional optional information about each link be collected with them, and
  4. User-created categories be created for external links, similar to assignments, to help organize links on the Links Page.

Link addition could look something like this:

Entering External URL in Canvas

The external link management page could look something like this:

External Link Management Page

Please consider my suggestion before whisking it off your ToDo list by merging it with another only vaguely related suggestion (as with my previous community contributions).

Tags (2)
2 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.