Schedule maintenance for Fridays or Saturdays instead of during the week.

0 Likes

Performing maintenance during the week, at any hour, disrupts students working on assignments. Doing so at night does not circumvent this issue as students utilize canvas in different time zones across the US, which can vary by as much as 8 hours.

7 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@gracebee 

Canvas does not schedule maintenance, and our users can always check for Canvas's availability at Instructure Status. The "scheduled maintenance" may well be conducted by the school itself, so would you please direct this feedback to someone at your school? 

Thanks. Stay safe, stay well, and keep learning. 🙂

Kelvin_Dean
Community Contributor

Grace, whenever I think about the word "maintenance," I think about the dates mentioned in the Release and Deploy Notes.

james_trueman
Community Contributor

Hi there, 

I see that this has been archived - but I'm a bit confused by the response?

The concept of Canvas 'scheduled maintenance' seems perfectly accurate to me - i.e., see the email I have below from Instructure. This was the most recent - I have many others - all with different windows (e.g., it might take an hour) and impact periods (e.g., users may not be able to access Canvas for 25-45 minutes). The only thing I have edited is my contact details.

Reply to: Canvas Support <support@instructure-contact.com>
Date: Wednesday, 12 May 2021 at 07:02
To: "James.trueman@" <James.trueman>
Subject: Update from Canvas: Maintenance event now underway

TAKE CARE: this message originates from an e-mail service outside of our University. Do not click on any links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and are absolutely sure that the content is safe

Canvas Status Update
Scheduled maintenance event underway

Hi Admins

The maintenance event we recently announced is now underway. Your users may not be able to log into or use Canvas for up to 5 minutes.

We'll send another message when the event is complete.

Thanks,

Canvas Support

You are receiving this message because you're listed as a Canvas Admin for your institution and either you or your Customer Success Manager requested that you be added to this mailing list.

Unsubscribe  James.trueman@ from this list.

Copyright (C) 2021 Instructure All rights reserved.

Forward  this email to a friend
Update your profile 

Can I also direct you to this post by Erin about scheduled maintenance taking place on the 1st & 3rd Thursday of each month - sometime between 12:05am and 4:05am local time.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@james_trueman  In May 2021, Instructure implemented a system for formalizing maintenance windows as detailed in  Users: Account Maintenance Windows (2021-05-15 Rel... and  Canvas Release Notes (2021-05-15) . Please contact your local Canvas admin for additional guidance.

james_trueman
Community Contributor

Thanks for your reply @Stef_retired.

I grabbed a couple of similar emails from June 2020 and August 2019 - both of which pre-date the May 2021 implementation referred to. This doesn't seem to be 'new'?:

Reply to: Canvas Support <support@instructure-contact.com>
Date: Thursday, 11 June 2020 at 02:02
To: "Trueman, James" <James.Trueman@>
Subject: Update from Canvas: Maintenance event now underway

TAKE CARE: this message originates from an e-mail service outside of our University. Do not click on any links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and are absolutely sure that the content is safe

Canvas Status Update
Scheduled maintenance event underway

Hi Admins

The Mastery Paths maintenance event we previously announced is now underway. Your users may not be able to interact with Mastery Paths within Canvas for up to 15 minutes.

We'll send another message when the event is complete.

Thanks,

Canvas Support

You are receiving this message because you're listed as a Canvas Admin for your institution and either you or your Customer Success Manager requested that you be added to this mailing list.

Copyright (C) 2020 Instructure All rights reserved.

Update your profile 

------

Date: Friday, 23 August 2019 at 03:25
To: "Trueman, James" <James.Trueman@>
Subject: Update from Canvas: Maintenance event on 8/27

Canvas Status Update
Scheduled maintenance on 08/27/2019 at 12:00 AM UTC

Hi Admins —

We'll be performing maintenance on your Canvas instance starting on Tuesday, August 27th at 12AM UTC and lasting until 4AM UTC. You may experience a short downtime during the maintenance period and we recommend that you make contingency plans for any processes that you have active during this maintenance window.

Please contact your customer success manager if you have any questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Canvas Support

Our mailing address is:

Instructure

6330 South 3000 East

Suite 700

Cottonwood Heights, UT 84121

Add us to your address book 

Copyright (C) 2019 Instructure All rights reserved.

Update your profile 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@james_trueman  Judging from the subject lines and dates of those emails, they seem to be exceptional events rather than regularly scheduled maintenance. Your Customer Service Manager (CSM) can provide additional guidance if you'd like to know more.

james_trueman
Community Contributor

@Stef_retired whilst these may not be part of a regular cycle of maintenance windows (e.g., post the April 2021 announcement - starting July 2021), all of the events referenced are:

1. titled 'Scheduled maintenance'
  2. 'scheduled' or planned in advance - with heads up emails coming out around a week before
  3. not 'emergency responses' to outages or degraded performance, and 
  4. on the days of the week that the OP sought to protect.

I am still not entirely sure I follow the original response that 'Canvas does not schedule maintenance' when the evidence suggests otherwise (it just was not a 'regular' window - but it was still scheduled). As a result, I am confused about the responses/push back being provided to me?

Interestingly, @gracebee's request came before the April 2021 announcement - and yet when that was made - Erin has advised that the two-hour windows of 'scheduled maintenance' will be planned for the 1st & 3rd Thursday of each month.