[Scheduler] - Edit Appointments / Sign ups

Our instructors would like to be able to edit appointments in the scheduler instead of having to delete and recreate them.  If a student has already signed up for an appointment and it has been modified, it should notify the student and request an approval for the new time.

Instructors would also like to edit the sign up list.  They want to be able to add or remove course participants from the appointment.

There are a number of situations in which this capability would be useful.

- An instructor that has accidentally created a number of appointments and needs to change them.

- A group reschedules with the instructor, it would be easier to just modify the appointment than create a new one and have them sign up again.

- A student cancels an appointment but doesn't remove themselves from the calendar.

- The instructor needs to assign students to an appointment block. (Maybe they didn't sign up yet, but the instructor wants to lock them in)

Added to Theme

58 Comments
maguire
Community Champion

I just tried adding a <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="10"> to the header for the calendar page and it does auto-refresh after 10 seconds. This would be one approach for Canvas to have the page auto-refresh with some frequency (for example, by changing the calendar via app/views/calendars/show.html.erb). Alternatively, an institution could modify their own javascript that they add to Canvas to do a refresh periodically if the page was the calendar. Either would seem to offer the functionality that you want.

maguire
Community Champion

To be sure that my earlier suggestion actually works, I added the line:

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="60">

to app/views/calendars/show.html.erb just before the line:
       <% content_for :right_side do %>

The result is that the page refreshes as expected.

maguire
Community Champion

I should add that it ends up in the body of the calendar page as shown below:

<h1 class="screenreader-only">Calendar</h1>

<div id="calendar_header"><div class="calendar_header header-table">

maguire
Community Champion

One get the <meta> into the <head> by inserting the following:

<% content_for :head do %>
<% end %>

Just before the line:
<% content_for :right_side do %>

The above works because there is a line:

<%= yield :head %>

in the file app/views/layouts/_head.html.erb

The yield :head will insert the contents that were defined by the content_for :head above.

estaples
Community Explorer

I'm reading that this was made a priority to fix FIVE years ago.  Yes, still, I cannot put a student in an appointment slot.  Canvas prioritizing instructor needs.....

E

audra_agnelly
Community Champion

With remote instruction happening in our K12 district through January, we have use cases where support staff need to setup 1:1 appointments with students. Like classroom pullouts, the schedules for these meetings are done by staff, not opted into by the student. Adding a 1:1 or small-group session on the Canvas calendar automatically places the meeting on the To Do list for the student and adds it to the parent observers's calendar so they can provide additional supports, especially for our elementary students. Right now, our only recommendation is to have the service providers work with the student in a virtual meeting to add the recurring events to their personal Canvas calendar/to-do list, but that's not ideal for younger students and it doesn't populate the event for the parent. If the service provider needs to change a meeting time or correct a meeting link/code, they have no control over that information on the student's side. In spring they were sending the meeting information via an Inbox message, but again, that doesn't add it to the calendar/to-do list which we're really pushing as the organizational tool for students.

becky_jacobson
Community Member

It would be really helpful to be able to sign students up for appointment slots. We are a 1:1 iPad school. Students can not sign up for appointments in the app, only through the web version. Because so many other features tend to work better in the app than web browser, it is a lot for students to navigate between platforms. If a student wants to reschedule, or missed their appointment, forgot to sign up, it would be really helpful to be able to do it for them. This would also help our special education teachers help support their students. 

erin99
Community Member

I would like the ability to assign/sign up my students for a calendar appointment time slot.  

macalystre
Community Novice

I honestly can't figure out why this isn't an option already. This would make my life as a professor to 150+ students each semester so much easier, considering how many can't get the scheduler to work themselves (user error or otherwise). 

delia
Community Member

I very much like this idea because I have a large class with team so often I "Have students sign up in groups"  This just adds to the issue of slots taken or just wanting to meet with students more impromptu. 

Also I have an issue that I think might be related - or at least this feature would solve - currently when I "Have students sign up in groups." they CANNOT see the appointments unless they were in a group BEFORE I made the appointment group/block of time slots. Thus, it would be great to just add a team if they cant see the appointment.  After they are all set in teams for the semester - it is fine but it is a bit of mess at the beginning when some have trouble to "JOIN" a group. 

Please make this happen. Thanks!