[Scheduler] Scheduler recurring events

I should be able to use the scheduler to set up appointment slots for office hours for one week and then have an option for Canvas to automatically create the same schedule on subsequent weeks.

Added to Theme

87 Comments
samantha_charne
Community Member

This is an absolutely essential feature - the scheduler is maddening to use without it.

bondurantdt
Community Member

Agree with the sentiment here, it is sad this has been in this state for over 5 years. Yes, there are workarounds with 3rd party tools, but they do not offer integrations into Canvas and it is yet another thing students and faculty have to navigate instead of it being native. 

dhulsey
Community Champion

Recurring office hours make so much sense. I doubt the scheduler got as much use before this last year, but I use it now, and find it limited. After commenting here that recurring appointments are a need, my next step is to look to see if anyone has requested an auto cut off for sign ups so that students do not sign up for appointments two minutes beforehand. 😀

PBart0
Community Explorer

Please, please enable this!  Recurring office hours are the most common professorial activity after recurring class sessions.  It is in credibly tedious and time-wasting to have to set every single instance of a recurring appointment time offered over three months.

The function should have a start and end date, with a check box option for days of the week  to repeat.  This is similar to Outlook Calendar options and many reminder apps on Android (that I know of), so common models are out there.

rafe_sholer
Community Explorer

@PBart0 no need to waste your time with the useless canvas bookings - I've used Sagenda for years, even the free tier is great 🙂 https://sagenda.net/

FOREMANSHANNON
Community Explorer

Hello, I am an instructor. I would just like to pitch in my opinion that giving the recurring option is absolutely crucial. I have a disability that makes it really difficult to sit there and redo the same information over and over via the computer. I use a lot of accessibility tools so I can minimize using my arms as much as possible, and having to write the same information over and over, even copying things over and over, that is enough to set off a lot of physical pain. Can this please please please please please be given a recurring option when were setting up group appointments?

cph2
Community Contributor

Is there any update on this essential functionality?

PBart0
Community Explorer

This function is essential for setting up office hours in any reasonable amount of time.  Most phone apps, and also Outlook have it, so it is not exotic.  As a result, maybe you could get some off-the-shelf code?

samantha_charne
Community Member

It's pretty ridiculous that this does not exist already. On the whole, I've found the calendar features of Canvas to be lacking (and that's putting it mildly). I really like Canvas and find it to be very functional and easy to use in most respects, but the calendar is extremely clunky and lacks a lot of basic functionality.

stiber
Community Member

Going on six years, and still no apparent motion or response about this, which is one of the most basic aspects of teaching — meeting with students. Says something about Canvas support, doesn't it?