[SpeedGrader] Screen Capture with Audio as a Comment Option

I grade a lot of essays, but I believe this feature might be valuable for other disciplines as well.

Canvas currently has the ability to post comments in video (webcam) or audio form--though, the flash programs for these seem to be hit or miss for me.

For essay feedback, I want to be able to communicate what I'm seeing in a student's essay, but I don't necessarily need them to see my face. Far more valuable to me is to be able to point to aspects of the essay or assignment while I'm talking and to have the student see those specific aspects while they are hearing my comments.

I do this now using Camtasia. I open speedgrader and begin recording a screen capture with audio. I then have to save the file and upload it to Canvas using the media comment video upload option.

This works, but it is a bit clunky. My speed at grading would be greatly increased if I could press a button and simply begin recording the screen.

Again, I know the benefit of this with essays, but my guess is that it could be of benefit to almost any discipline. If an instructor is taking the time to record a comment of any sort, it is probably a comment that has something to do with the digital object that is right on the screen. The added benefit would be that if the recorder is capturing the screen and not just the current window, an instructor could use the video as a digital whiteboard. I can imagine a math instructor giving a just in time KhanAcademy style explanation for a problem on which a particular student seems to be having difficulties.

Since I have an android tablet with a stylus, if this could be incorporated into the android speedgrader app, that would be some wicked awesome future s%&t!!!

73 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Great idea, Shiloh.  I remember folks in Washington doing something like this with the lecture capture tool purchased at the state level but building this functionality into the Canvas insert media comment tool or otherwise adding it into the RCE would be really convenient for the reasons you describe.

Jeff_F
Community Champion

I dream of a screen recorder integrated directly into the Speedgrader.  Just how awesome would that be??  Stupendous I tell you!

Currently one must use Jing, Snag-It, Screencast-o-matic, Cantasia, Captivate, etc. and then take 2-3 added steps to upload the media as a file.  Some of these titles are costly, are time consuming and/or have a learning curve.  While our Univ. has the full Kaltura integration that affords a screen recording process, currently there is no workflow solution to screen record and post the video as feedback to student assignments. 

I smell opportunity....   ;o)

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. December 2, 2015 - Wed. March 2, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

pmartin
Community Novice

Sounds like it would help out many instructors, good idea.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

I really like this idea.  I hope it gets some wings.

sbrown3
Community Explorer

Voting this one up.  Allowing instructors and students to record their screen is a way more useful than recording their faces, at least for my classes.  My students often ask for feedback and for that I need to see what they're showing me, not them talking.

tdo1
Community Novice

This sounds great!  Feedback is so important for my pre college math student to learn and grow.  Being able to quickly access a screen capture in the Speedgrader program would provide me with a quick way to do this electronically for them.  Thanks Shiloh for the suggestion!Smiley Happy

matt_elphick
Community Member

A fantastic suggestion. I know that I and many of my colleagues would love this feature to be added to Canvas!

jbrady2
Community Champion

I could see this working for many subjects.  Math instructors could record themselves using a whiteboard program while working out a problem.  Any subject that deals with visual details, such as art/web design/etc, could display examples while providing commentary. This would be a great feature.

adam_st_jean
Community Novice

This would be tremendously useful. Great idea!