[SpeedGrader] Screen Capture with Audio as a Comment Option

I grade a lot of essays, but I believe this feature might be valuable for other disciplines as well.

Canvas currently has the ability to post comments in video (webcam) or audio form--though, the flash programs for these seem to be hit or miss for me.

For essay feedback, I want to be able to communicate what I'm seeing in a student's essay, but I don't necessarily need them to see my face. Far more valuable to me is to be able to point to aspects of the essay or assignment while I'm talking and to have the student see those specific aspects while they are hearing my comments.

I do this now using Camtasia. I open speedgrader and begin recording a screen capture with audio. I then have to save the file and upload it to Canvas using the media comment video upload option.

This works, but it is a bit clunky. My speed at grading would be greatly increased if I could press a button and simply begin recording the screen.

Again, I know the benefit of this with essays, but my guess is that it could be of benefit to almost any discipline. If an instructor is taking the time to record a comment of any sort, it is probably a comment that has something to do with the digital object that is right on the screen. The added benefit would be that if the recorder is capturing the screen and not just the current window, an instructor could use the video as a digital whiteboard. I can imagine a math instructor giving a just in time KhanAcademy style explanation for a problem on which a particular student seems to be having difficulties.

Since I have an android tablet with a stylus, if this could be incorporated into the android speedgrader app, that would be some wicked awesome future s%&t!!!

73 Comments
zukkie44
Community Member

I feel exactly the same way, so I came online to see if anyone knew of a fix or had any information.

I am very discouraged to see that this idea has been out there for nearly 5 years with some progress happening in 2018, and still no product delivered.

Please, CANVAS, this would be HUGE for providing meaningful feedback.

kboxleitner
Community Novice

This feature would be incredibly useful and time-saving. 

lhughes
Community Participant

I am frustrated that five years after the initial post here, there is no movement on this issue.  I know Canvas depends on "votes" to support projects, but I imagine (based on comments I've heard from colleagues over the years) this is an idea that would have broad support and use if made available.  Yes, we absolutely need screen capture commenting available in Speedgrader.  The audio and video functions now available are worthless for me.

amyalysonteller
Community Member
  • This would be an amazing feature for feedback/grading purposes
  • What are the best ways to record screen with voice over and write-on-screen capabilities?
lhughes
Community Participant

Agree, a one-button screen recording comment/feedback button would be super helpful!

J-Treadwell
Community Member

Hello,

Canvas annotation tools on SpeedGrader is not functional for studio art courses. For example, I teach Drawing and 3D Design and need to mark or draw on areas to illustrate my feedback.  The annotation drawing tool is cumbersome, lacking a straight line option, and consistently initiates the text box.  I bypass Canvas and use Zoom annotation tools by screen capturing and sending a feedback video link to the student in Canvas Assignment Messages. If I could do all of this in Canvas I would cut my grading in half. My wife teaches at Kutztown University and they use the dreaded D2L online learning platform; however, the annotation tools on D2L are actually decent.  Canvas is the superior program, but is lacking this critical aspect to my teaching. What would be better is if I could annotate anywhere on the screen and send the link to the student, like I do with Zoom. 

farshid_mirzae1
Community Member

It would be great to have Screen recording during comments and feedback on assignments. Currently the cam allows recording only without reflecting the screen.

farshid_mirzae1
Community Member

Screen recording during comments and feedback on assignments.

joycedallal
Community Novice

Yes! As an art teacher this would be invaluable to point to parts of their image and give a verbal critique. Also, to be able to record in other programs as well. I teach digital art and this would enable me to open their file in the software and show them where they have problems and how to correct and improve and better use the software tools. Right now I have to record in quicktime and then compress and then upload--takes forever!

KRISTAGIBBONS
Community Member

I am a middle school teacher, and I hope to advocate for Canvas Feedback video to get an upgrade. I hope I am not the only person out there. What do I mean, I wish when I record the video it would allow me to pick the option to record my screen.  Grading Math, Essays would be so much easier if I could circle annotate, and comment as the students watch what I am doing. Like taking a screen video.