Search bar when adding to modules

(5)

It would be very useful if there was a search bar when building/adding content to Modules.

Example: Click the Plus button to add content to a modules and have a search box where you can search for a title/keyword and the results would show all files that have that name to make it easier to add videos, images, text files, power points, Pages, Quizzes, etc. that are already build, but need to be put into that Module. The current drop-down options takes a very long time to locate content that is already in the course files.

12 Comments
msburkhardt
Community Member

It would also be nice to have the search function for inserting/linking to internal content on a Canvas page or assignment! 

samantha_sissel
Community Member

Do we have an update on this?  This is one of the most common concern I get from teachers. We are in week 2 of school and already the list of pages, assignments, modules, etc. is overwhelming to have to scroll through, Load More, scroll through, Load More. Having a search feature to search by title would be AMAZING and so much more efficient for our teachers. 

JVisco
Community Member

I fully agree.  There are many times when I would like to search through my sandbox to find a module or course content.  

heidiadams
Community Explorer

Yes... I just came into Canvas to add this as a feature idea. How do we get this to be votable? 

JVisco
Community Member

Duhhh.... I'm so stupid.    I was reminded by a colleague and IT support here in our school that any page on the internet and on any site is searchable with the ctrl + f   function.   This isn't the best option as a search feature directly in Canvas would be idea, but it works!

heidiadams
Community Explorer

@JVisco - Yes, we did try that. It is a work-around, but very clunky. 🙃

markbauer
Community Novice

I vote for this.  I would like to be able to click the + to add assignment and in that window search through my existing assignments rather than scroll through them.

markbauer
Community Novice

How did I get the pirate panda avatar?!!!

tlt-canvas
Community Member

This request hasn't been updated for a while but I do think this would be a nice addition when adding a File to a Module.  In addition, it might be nice to be able to move Files into Modules from the Files page using the 3 dots menu next to the File.

brooke1_simmons
Community Novice

When editing or viewing a quiz or an assignment, it would be nice if there were an option to add it to a module from that screen rather than having to go the module itself, clicking the plus sign, and then scrolling to find the quiz or assignment to add. Additionally, you should also make it so that if you want to go to the module to add something, you can search for a specific quiz or assignment so that I don't have to forever scroll to find it. I feel that this should be a viable addition because there is an option to add quizzes and assignments to modules but only when copying it from another class. But it's not so easy when organizing the modules within the same course. 

LMacaulay
Community Participant

@tlt-canvas YES!  I was just talking about this need with the Canvas trainers that I worked with for some consulting hours we had. Ctrl+F is ok, but having the same sidebar pop-out we have in the RCE would be so much better than the small window to scroll through when there are lots of file (or assignments, or pages) that you need to go through to find what you want to add to a Module.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.