cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secure testing window option in quiz settings

About Idea Conversations
In the Canvas Community Ideas space, you can share, converse, and rate idea conversations related to software improvements to Canvas products.

Secure testing window option in quiz settings

In our previous LMS, teachers could give a quiz in "kiosk mode" that prevented students from opening another tab in their browser to search for answers. This option would be extremely helpful in establishing test security for higher-stakes quizzes or benchmarks tests.
14 Comments
Community Member

Does this option prevent students from opening other browsers? (I have never used such a feature so I'm wondering how it works)

Community Team
Community Team

85738_pastedImage_0.pngpastedImage_0.png

Thank you for your Feature Idea submission. We wanted to call your attention to   which was submitted in a different voting period, but archived due to lack of votes or inadequate response. You may want to reference this idea for any insight.

Your idea will be open for vote in the next voting cycle.

In the meantime, help your idea gain traction by posting a link to this idea in the comments of the other, archived idea (which will notify author and anyone who is following the idea) and share your idea to colleagues and peers who you think would be supporters, as well.

There are also Partners​ that specialize in Testing Integrity.

Canvas Premier Partner - ProctorU

Alliance Partner - Verificient

Certified Partner - ProctorFree

Certified Partner - Respondus​ (LockDown Browser)   

Community Team
Community Team

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. November 4, 2015 - February 3, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

Community Team
Community Team

Beth,

Not in my experience, no.  With every system I have used in the past that level of lockdown must happen in the browser.

Learner II

It would be helpful to have a nice basic kiosk mode set-up that we K12 districts could utilize - many of us can't afford putting additional monies into buying the Partner extras...

Learner II

In our state testing kiosk mode, if a student tries to open another browser, it kicks the student out of the test, which alerts the teacher. Then the teacher has the ability to manually place the student back into the test.

Instructure
Instructure

As has been said here a couple of times, kiosk mode is really more of a browser or even OS-level feature.  When I was an LMS admin for another LMS we used the built-in JavaScript "secure" mode- but this really only operates in the window/tab to prevent copy/paste or opening new tabs from a link.  Users were still free to open a new tab, window, browser, (or have their cell phone in their lap :smileyplain:).

Eventually we switched to Safe Exam Browser, which is an open source browser for Windows and Mac designed for secure testing and we were very happy with the results- and I've heard it works with Canvas.  For iOS devices we enabled Guided Access during exams.

As far as the cell phone in the lap goes, well that's an instructional design / classroom management discussion for another day :smileysilly:

Learner II

What would you suggest with chromebooks?

Instructure
Instructure

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with Chromebooks, but it looks like they do support kiosk mode.  That might be worth investigating.

Learner II

Yes, Chromebooks can do kiosk mode. I was hoping you'd have knowledge of a kiosk freebie for them

168487_pastedImage_0.png