[Course Import/Export] See Detailed List of Course Imports for All Content and Selected Migration Content

When importing course content, it would be great to see the detailed list of:

• What items were imported if the user used the option "Select Migration Content"
  • Who Initiated the import
  • Whether it was the entire course or parts of a course (Select Migration Content)
  • Display if the item is a duplicate when imported into the course
  • Create a way to un-import what was imported (just in case users mess up)
  • It would also be nice to add a warning screen if the item is a duplicate
  • Teacher/Admin notification when import has completed/failed

Since on some courses there are multiple imports it is difficult to determine what items were imported into the course. This would be nice for users to see who is importing content in their course, and what items were imported as well. It would be great to see if individual items were imported successfully. This would assist Admins, Teachers, Course Designers and anyone with access to the course settings.

22 Comments
mlewis23
Community Champion

Double vote for the version control part of imports!

admin_brake
Community Participant

I want to promote the idea of protecting content that was imported from a Course Copy, then was edited, and then upon a subsequent Course Copy, is overwritten back to its original state (losing all edits) without any warning. See this related and detailed idea:

csalazar
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you for the feedback. I agree it will be great to add some clarity to who initiated imports and specifically what content was migrated. I will include this project when we do our next round of prioritization.

Building a way to undo an import after it has been executed or checking for duplicates during the import process would be a larger project that we will not be able to address as quickly given our other priorities.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
mwelker
Community Novice

Late to the party but our awesome CMS @Kenzie pointed me to this thread... our faculty are getting caught out/ surprised by  the current 'select content' dialog screen, not realizing how to expand it to ONLY select specific single items... so there has been a few messes. Notable an RN faculty member had to redo the due dates for ALL her assignments... adn they have many many of them :z 

So yay anything you can do for an UNDO or clarifying the user interface on this!

-Mike

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

As a Canvas administrator, it would be really important for us to see who initiated a course import into a Canvas course shell.  We recently discovered that in a handful of "master" courses, we have modules that have been repeated two or three times in the course.  We think this is because an instructor decided to import content from his own course back to our "master" instead of first resetting the "master" course.  This created duplication of modules, and over time, the same thing happened again, creating an additional instance of all those modules in the course.

This morning I chatted online with Canvas Support, and they said I could look at:

https://SchoolName.instructure.com/api/v1/courses/12345/content_migrations

(where you'd need to replace the black school name with your own and the blue numbers with your own Course ID)

On the page you see, look for the "user_id" where you'd be able to get that and search for the user in Canvas.

Instead of going to this URL, it would be really handy to have the person who initiated the course import listed on the page.  For example:

CurrentJobs.jpg

milesl
Community Contributor

@Chris_Hofer I use the course activity log admin tool when I need to find this info. Would that work for you?

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 8.34.08 AM.png

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @milesl ...

Thank you for this!  I am not sure if I ever used this before, but it does help.  What would be even nicer is if this data was shown directly on the Course Import screen...so we don't have to navigate to another part of Canvas to get this info.  My two cents.

milesl
Community Contributor

@Chris_Hofer I agree. This feature would be a welcome improvement!