Select Student View by Section

0 Likes
(1)

It would be helpful to select a section in a cross-listed course when clicking Student View. For example, I posted an assignment for just my 2nd period class section. When sharing my screen in student view for my 3rd period class section, several students were confused why their modules looked different and they didn't have one of the assignments. 

7 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@jbarrios Student view will only show those students that are enrolled in a particular course. Does your reference to "course" mean "section," as in various sections (equivalent to your classes) that are cross-listed within a single course?

jbarrios
Community Member

Stephanie- yes, I meant by section. Thank you for clarifying. 🙂 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@jbarrios Thanks! I've made a few clarifying edits to the idea title and description and have moved the idea forward for broader discussion.

Steven_S
Community Champion

I can see how displaying the student view specifically for a selected section would be helpful.  I would take this a step further to also specify a specific student: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Specific-quot-Real-quot-student-view/idi-p/441...

KennethCastania
Community Member

I don't find it helpful that "Test Student" is created every time I used Student View.

Why would viewing as a student necessitate the creation of a Test Student who is automatically placed in every section.

This is especially awkward when I want to show students something on Canvas -- as they would see it -- and they see four different assignments, one for each section -- when their real view only shows the assignment for their section.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.