Select which courses go in Calendar Feed

(25)

Currently all of the courses for which I am registered go into my calendar feed. This is problematic for me. I want to be able to select which courses show up in the calendar feed, or to have a separate feed for each course.

54 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@Schultz 

Thanks for sharing this idea. This popular discussion is already underway at Select which courses go in Calendar Feed, so please add your comments to that idea. We've archived this one to remove the duplication and keep the conversation unified in one spot.

And @matthew_buckett thanks for sharing a possible solution!

cjmoore2
Community Member

I am listed as an instructor for various courses but would only like to see the calendar feed reflect my main course.

TyG
Community Member

Is this still being reviewed? It would make dealing with my calendar sooooo much easier if I could pick and choose what courses to export with the ICS file. Even If I had to export each course individually that would be preferable. Right now I'm NOT using the Canvas Calendar export feature because there are multiple events on it that I don't need to have cluttering my calendar.

dj19
Community Member

Please add a function where we can filter which classes show up when the calendar feed is exported to ical. You can only filter classes on the canvas calendar function, but if you leave only those select few classes clicked, the calendar feed subscription will still show all the classes you're enrolled in. I'm a grading TA for a few classes, but I don't have to attend their class times or submit projects. These classes clutter my calendar when I solely want to see my assignments and my classes. Please create this function asap. 

jgroover
Community Novice

Could it be possible to choose an individual URL for each "course" you want to sync with your Google calendar. I chose only the courses I want to show on my Canvas dashboard but when I copy the URL and add to Google it adds everything going on at the school. Not just my course info.

aakinci
Community Novice

Please add a function where we can filter which classes show up when the calendar feed is exported to ical.

RandyCS
Community Member

@awolfe Thank you for creating and sharing this script.  I just make my own copy and followed your directions.  It does create the new google calendars for each of my courses (in courseList), but it doesn't populate them with events from my main Canvas Calender (in canvasCalendarId).  Any ideas what I'm missing?

awolfe
Community Contributor

Hi @RandyCS - The individual calendars will be created based on the names you specify no matter what. If no events are showing up, my first guess is that there's a mismatch with the course name.

Make sure the name in courseList matches the full name of your course, which could be quite long. My institution's EMIS/database integration gives courses really long and complicated names, so make sure it's the full and exact name that appears in the brackets on the Canvas Calendar events in Google Calendar.

Another thing to check would be the canvasCalendarId itself to be sure that it matches.

If you're still having trouble, let me know. Some screenshots of what you're seeing would also be helpful. Feel free to DM them to me to avoid cluttering the idea discussion!

vrichter
Community Contributor

I too would like to see this function so I could feed data to another campus calendar without duplicating it.  I only need one of many calendars, though.  If I were to create a user and only enroll that user in that course, could I use that feed?

em123
Community Member

Hi!

I find Canvas' calendar very useful, but use Google Calendar as my main Calendar.

To do this, I import into my Google Calendar a link from Canvas.

However, I am signed up for a course called "Career Development Events", which is filled with talks I don't want to attend.  These block up my calendar unnecessarily, even though I am a 3rd year PhD student and don't need to attend any career development events this year!

In the Canvas view, I can personalize my Calendar by removing unwanted courses.  Can I do the same for an exported Calendar feed/URL?

Thanks

scott_wahl
Community Member

really terrible that this is not possible😣

awolfe
Community Contributor

@vrichter - that sounds like a really clever workaround actually. I think it might work!

@em123 @scott_wahl 

I feel like it's hard to find things without the nested replies that the Community used to have, butI wanted to point out that I created this tool awhile ago.

It uses Google Apps Script to extract individual courses that you list into their own separate Google Calendars and wrote this guide on how to use it:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Select-which-courses-go-in-Calendar-Feed/idc-p... 

It doesn't have a "blacklist" mode, but I hope it may be helpful to both of you!

DM me if you need any help using it.

megansz
Community Member

Please fast track this feature! It is essential for those of us trying to integrate our Canvas info with other calendar apps. 

galusham16
Community Member

Happy to find this thread. Sad to see it is still an open issue. Would love to see a solution for this.

allisonjoyb
Community Novice

I love having the ability to export my Canvas calendar to a third-party calendar, such as Google Calendar. But, I am a full-time grad student, as well as a TA. Due to this, I have the calendar events and due dates of the classes for which I TA in my personal calendar, which I find unnecessary. As of now, it seems that I can only export all calendar events, rather than a subset. It would be extremely helpful to be able to select which courses I would like to export to my personal Google Calendar. I hope this feature is added soon.

ArrinnaP
Community Member

I would love to have it export aligned with the individual courses that the assignments are from. As it stands, it exports as one full calendar- it's messy and uneditable. My only work around is to make my own calendar for each course, then copy each individual assignment to its course, and then "hide" the Canvas subscription... for a short time before I need to re-move any new assignments that have been posted. 

oxt010
Community Novice

since we are all doing our courses online having the ability to sort what information is loaded into our calendars would be immensely helpful. I'm not sure why this feature is taking OVER 4 YEARS to be added. I am not seeing my actual course information, instead my google calendar is flooded with other courses my university added me to that have "events". I don't need that to prevent me from planing my deadlines appropriately. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE fix this!!!

jacob1
Community Explorer

Has there been any progress on this?

DonnaLyon
Community Novice

Per previous comment by a user:

Please put this update on the fast track.

The ability to select what courses are part of the calendar feed would be a tremendous improvement to those of us who need to sync Canvas to Outlook. I am part of several courses within my district, but only need one or two of their calendars synced.

I can't express enough how frustrating it is that we cannot itemise subjects and just have these imported into our Outlook.

dbrace
Community Contributor

My institution has a "Student Life" course that all students are enrolled into it.  Some students decide that they do not want the course to be starred/favorited so that it does not appear on the "Dashboard" or in the "Courses" list.  Some students also decide to not make the course visible when they are using the "Calendar" that is built into Canvas.

Some students would like to use the iCal link/feed to subscribe to their Canvas "Calendar" in a third-party location such as Google Calendar, Outlook, Outlook.com, or Apple Calendar.

However, it is not possible to exclude a course from being included in the iCal link/feed for the Canvas "Calendar".

Please make it possible to exclude a course from the Canvas "Calendar" iCal link/feed that is used in a third-party location.