Self Review Tool with Rubric

0 Likes
(14)

Canvas does not allow best practices in rubric use.  Peer review is merely a scaffold to self review.  Peer review teaches a student to grade a product with a judicious eye, and aquaints the students with the criteria on the rubric. But grading Suzy's paper doesn't tell Sam what to fix in his own paper.

A meta-analysis conducted by Black and Wiliams, published as "The Black Box," review 581 research papers and chapters on assessment and concluded that SELF REVIEW yields the greatest effective size in teaching students how to improve their own product.

This limitation on Canvas forces teachers back to pen and paper rubric evaluation.  Considering that Canvas already has teacher rubric evaluation and peer rubric evaluation coding established, it should be fairly simple for Canvas to give the student to opportunity to grade himself.

19 Comments
Hyer
Community Novice

Please add this feature! How incredibly help to all classes!

DrS2307
Community Member

This would be such a useful tool for so many teachers and their classes! Please add this feature!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@rarobins2306 

Thanks for sharing this idea. Please add your comments to the discussion underway at Create a student-accessible rubric for self-assessments, and we'll archive this one to remove the duplication and keep the conversation unified in one place.

katie1381
Community Novice

This would be so super helpful for teachers. We always use rubrics to grade, and it would so nice for students to be able to analyze their work so we can see how they feel about their work. I saw from the community team this was archived and we to a note about nursing students...we need it in regular k-12 education as well.

pdeveny
Community Novice

This would be extremely helpful. 

amandasiler1121
Community Novice

I would LOVE this! Hopefully this feature is added soon! 

Kjerstibar
Community Novice

So important to have this ability on Canvas--please add it!

mjstanford
Community Member

This would be an excellent feature and I would like to see it implemented.

mrsferguson
Community Novice

A self-evaluation tool would be an effective tool to help young writers evaluate and monitor progress throughout the school year and beyond.

Srta_H
Community Member

I would love to see this. A setting where they force students to self-evaluate and read the rubric before they submit. They could also be required to list examples of why their work merits a certain rating in each criteria--much like teacher comments, only a little more visible (not a hidden click--just have the text entry box there). They could also highlight passages of text or hot spots in their submission or time markers to provide examples. I would like a checklist feature too--something they have to review and locate before they can submit.

cdg2303
Community Member

I think that a self evaluation tool would be highly beneficial for students . 

mjstanford
Community Member

This is a great idea. I would love to see it implemented.

kclk32
Community Member

I would love to see the addition of a self-evaluation/ self review rubric. The addition would help facilitate the process of students critically viewing their own work. Great idea!

mitchelljorgens
Community Explorer

This is a much needed feature.  I would like a part of students grades to be based on a self-evaluation, self reflection.  They should be able to look at a RUBRIC and select where they are.  Ideally there would be flexibility where the teacher can also score them on the same RUBRIC and students would receive and average of the scores or similarly an average of their own self evaluation and a peer (or several peers) review.  

Self evaluation and self scoring (meaning the students award some of their own points) would be hugely helpful.

swatts1
Community Member

I would love to have this feature!

mitchelljorgens
Community Explorer

This feature should be implemented. It has been rolling around for 4+ years.  How do we get this to move forward more?

maarten_devos
Community Explorer

I would love this feature. We really need this at our school.

Elvis_Presley
Community Member

I want this too, and it seems like this could be easily done. Just let me add their own name when assigning peer reviews

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@Elvis_Presley and all who have commented here,

This idea was archived in August with a link to the conversation already underway at Create a student-accessible rubric for self-assessments. Inasmuch as the conversation has branched off considerably since then, we're going to close comments now to keep the discussion unified. Please add your rating and comments to the ongoing thread.