Send Announcement Automatically when Quiz is Launched

0 Likes

In another platform I used to use, we could just click a box when creating/editing a quiz and once the quiz was launched, an announcement would be sent to students alerting them that the quiz was ready for them to take. This feature could also be used for quizzes to be launched at a future date. In essence, the students would receive an Announcement (not a Notification) that the quiz was up and ready for them to take (within a set time frame). Can we please have a similar feature in Canvas? It is really tedious to have to manually create individual quiz Announcements for each weekly quiz launched. Assignments should also have the same feature. I understand that a Notification feature is available, but students seldom configure their notification settings to receive them, nor do they pay attention to them. They do, however, pay close attention to Announcements. Of course, if an instructor doesn't want to send an Announcement, they just don't click the box. We would have a choice. Please consider adding this feature. Thanks!

Tags (3)
4 Comments
CanvasDocTeam
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

garyfriedmann
Community Novice

Have the option for an auto-generated announcement to be posted automatically when a quiz opens to all students, and where the quiz may be found.

For example

Quiz Posted: (Quiz Title)

A new quiz has been posted for you to complete in Module ___.  The due date on this quiz is set for 01/01/20xx at 11:59 p.m.  It will close on 01/01/20xx at 11:59 p.m.

switmer
Community Member

Yes, I'm aware of this option. It's been the only way to do this to date. It's what I have been doing. But, this method necessitates having to create a separate Announcement (for each quiz, etc.) rather than just checking a box and having a generic Announcement sent. That's my point. It's tedious to have to create so many Announcements, having to type in new deadlines, etc. I already send out Announcement to students to "remind" them that an exam will be launching in a *fill in time period; day, week, etc.* 

I'm wondering if a generic, automatic Announcement can be sent that just states that the scheduled exam/assignment etc, has been launched and is "Now Available," in addition to my "reminder" Announcements. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.