Send Message from Individual Grades View

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. October 5, 2016 - Wed. January 4, 2017  Learn more about voting...

Hello Canvas,

I feel there needs to be a "Send Message" button from the view that shows the individual grades of a given student.  The navigation at this time makes it awkward to alert a student when s/he is falling behind in grades.  For example, in selecting an individual student from People, I have the option to send the student a message, view the student's grades, or select a number of options.  Let's say I want to look at that student's grades.  I get the individual grades view for that student, but there is no backward link (in the breadcrumb trail) to view the student information that includes the "Send Message" button.  I could use the browser's back arrow but that's awkward to me, and not as reliable as an internal navigation tool.

But why navigate at all from a student's individual grades page when a "Send Message" button could be made available right then and there?  Below is a screen shot that illustrates the change I am offering.  The annotation, drawn, shows the prompt that would motivate the instructor to contact the student.  She is clearly getting into D territory and needs a motivational boost from me.  So, I could, if this change were implemented, send her a message from that page.

That would be slick, wouldn't it?

202631_sendMessageFromGrades.pngsendMessageFromGrades.png

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-01-28) 

19 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Thank you for submitting this feature idea! Learn more about the feature idea process and how to champion your idea.

Your feature idea will be open for vote from Wed. October 5, 2016 - Wed. January 4, 2017. Smiley Wink

scott10
Community Novice

This functionality needs to be added to nearly every page available on Canvas. As a parent of two (and I'm sure it's 100 times worse for teachers with several classes and students), it's annoying to drill down 3 or 4 clicks and see something that I want to comment on, either to my child or the teacher, and have to make a mental note of which class it is and who the teacher is (some of my kids' classes have several teachers listed for reasons that are currently beyond my ken). I then have to type in the course, my kid's name, the name of the assignment or quiz etc. that I have a question about... when by clicking a general "send message" button from that assignment's page or the overall grades page as above, this would all be clear to whomever received the message... and I could send an encouraging note to my son or clarify something with his teacher much more easily.

Thanks!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. October 5, 2016 - Wed. January 4, 2017.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

david_white
Community Novice

Yes!  I would love the ability to have the "Send Message" to students from their individualized grade sheet.  But let us not stop there.  If we can "Send Message to Students Who..." for individual assignments, why can't we also do it for grade categories, and for course totals?  I just sent out midterm progress reports for everyone failing the course by using the "send as individual messages" and picking out names (I used two windows, one on Grades and the other on Inbox), but it would have been much easier if I could have done this from the Totals column.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

GGummess

Sorry this slipped through our fingers, but your idea is a duplicate of " modifiedtitle="true" title="Message Students From Grades.​  The good news is that your idea does not need to be open for voting & we have a project for you to follow!!!  Check out Canvas Studio: Student Insight Drawer

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in development

Please take a look at Canvas Studio: Student Insight Drawer

This project addresses this idea not specifically in Grades, but throughout Canvas as a whole!!!!!

david_white
Community Novice

Groovy! I hope we do something along the lines I was suggesting, e.g. “Message all students who score below X in category Y”

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

David, this isn't a 'message students who' feature.  This is an individual message solution.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-01-16)

Want to discuss the latest beta release in a synchronous group chat?  RSVP to Kristin Lundstrum's Beta Release (2017-01-16) Collaborative Chat, Wednesday, July 18.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-01-28)