Sentence Capitalization for DocViewer comments

(1)

It would speed up making comments to students if sentence automaticaly were capitalized in the comment in DocViewer.
...and we want to have speed working in SpeedGrader, don´t we Smiley Wink

8 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi,  @birger_eriksson ‌, are you suggesting that the comment field in Speedgrader automatically transform specific letters to upper case? Should that functionality in the field override user preferences? Would the capitalization always be applied only to the very first character typed in the field? Should the field also automatically capitalize after a period and a space? Would this apply in every instance, including URLs typed into the comment field? How would this affect touch typists who automatically press the shift key when they want to capitalize something? 

As you see, I have questions. Smiley Happy  Could you provide examples of comments that illustrate how this would work?

Thanks.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@birger_eriksson ‌

Just a reminder that we're looking forward to your answers. Smiley Happy 

juliska_wallin
Community Novice

Dear Stefanie,

Here are some of my reflections to your questions (Birger made this post instead of me because I found it quite difficult to figure out how to post an idea on your webpage):

Are you suggesting that the comment field in Speedgrader automatically transform specific letters to upper case? Yes Would the capitalization always be applied only to the very first character typed in the field? Yes

Should the field also automatically capitalize after a period and a space? Yes

That is, when I´m commenting a student's work and press the "bubble", the first word would automatically be in capital letters. As also the first letter after a period. This will give a more neat and professional look and users are used to this "service" when using for eample Word. It saves actually a lot of time.

Thank you for you time!

Yours, 

Juliska

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you,  @juliska_wallin  Welcome to the Canvas Community! This clarification helps, but also raises an additional question. The original idea was specific to the Speedgrader comment field, whereas you've referenced the "bubble," which is specific to DocViewer annotations. DocViewer and Speedgrader are separate tools.

Would you or Birger please modify the idea description to (1) add the clarification about how capitalization should be determined automatically and (2) specify either Speedgrader comments or DocViewer comments? To modify the idea, log in to this forum, navigate to this page, and click the Edit link at the upper right of the page.

Thanks.

birger_eriksson
Community Participant

I misunderstood Juliska, but have now updated the title. The Idéa is for DocViewer.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you, Birger. We've opened the idea for voting.

James
Community Champion

I already have to turn off autocorrect and autocapitalize in most programs I use that allow me to because someone programmed a computer to think they know more about writing than I do.  When I don't capitalize the first letter of a statement (they're typically not sentences), it's intentional. x = 5 is different from X = 5.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.