[Gradebook Settings] Separate Late policies for individual assignments

in the new gradebook it would be great if there were separate policies for each assignment or even for each assignment group.  We have different policies for our participation than for typical assignments for example.  Having one policy for the whole course means this feature is not usable for us.

Added to Theme

Provide more flexible grading options Theme Status: Identified

65 Comments
jewellmc
Community Novice

I am glad to have the ability to have a late submission penalty automatically applied for certain assignments. But at present I can only set one global late submission penalty for the entire class. I'd like to be able to set different penalties for different assignment types. For example, I'd like to be able to have different penalites for major vs. minor assignments.

wallacema
Community Member

Agreed!  I would like to have the option to set late submission penalties by individual assignment or assignment category. 

There are some assignments that students really need to complete, even if they are late, so I would offer substantial partial credit for late submissions.  Other assignments - quizzes and exams, for example - need a hard deadline.  This option is available in Pearson's MyLab/Mastering, so this is not a radical idea. 

Canvas, you really need to fix this.

jhartman31
Community Explorer

Yes please!

(Didn't there used to be a way to upvote feature requests?  Well, consider this my +1.)

ShaunaW
Community Member

It would be very helpful for the late policy feature to be one that can be applied ‘per assignment’.  I love the feature that allows for ZERO scores to be automatically added (and the assignment/quiz marked as "missing" once the due date has passed).  However, it seems it would be a useful feature to be able to say when the late policies begin and how much is deducted each day beyond that.

For example, I am wanting to set assignment due dates that will then turn to zeroes in the grade book if not turned in on time.  But, I do want to give students some leeway (maybe 5-7 additional days before late points start to getting deducted.

• Due Date:  Sept. 25 @ 11:59 pm
  • Late Policies Begin:  Sept. 30 (2% deduction per day down to 60%)

Hopefully I have been able to explain my suggestion adequately.  Thanks.

ShaunaW
Community Member

It would be very helpful for the late policy feature to be one that can be applied ‘per assignment’.  I love the feature that allows for ZERO scores to be automatically added (and the assignment/quiz marked as "missing" once the due date has passed).  However, it seems it would be a useful feature to be able to say when the late policies begin and how much is deducted each day beyond that.

For example, I am wanting to set assignment due dates that will then turn to zeroes in the grade book if not turned in on time.  But, I do want to give students some leeway (maybe 5-7 additional days before late points start to getting deducted.

• Due Date:  Sept. 25 @ 11:59 pm
  • Late Policies Begin:  Sept. 30 (2% deduction per day down to 60%)

Hopefully I have been able to explain my suggestion adequately.  Thanks.

NickS
Community Member

Assignment-specific late policies is a MUST.  I also like the suggestion from @ShaunaW to have a sort of grace period where an assignment gets logged as a 0 while it is missing, but the actual penalty doesn't apply until a specified date.  That would be icing on the cake, if the cake was assignment-specific late policies.  Another layer of icing would be if you could create "Late Policies" just like you can create Rubrics.  Then you could attach a Late Policy (maybe by selecting from a drop down or a list of your previously created late policies) to each assignment. This would make adding late policies to the assignment much quicker.  

p00065842
Community Member

It would be great if there was a way to remove the late penalty for a single assignment. Currently, it is possible to go in and remove the penalty one student at a time, but if this needs to be done for an entire class (or in my case 6 classes), it is very time consuming and tedious. The option, to remove the late penalty, should be added to the speed grader as well. Many times, especially for high schools, students are added to the course late because of various schedule changes. While they maybe responsible for an assignment, they should not be subject to some of the same rules as other students who have been in the class all along. It would make it so much easier to be able to exclude those students while grading in the speed grader. 

tonatiuh_rodrig
Community Member

Yes, please!!! I use quizzes that don't factor into the grade, but students must score well on them before they continue to the next module. I use due dates to help them stay on track, but it's OK if they complete it late. I still use a late penalty for other assignments. My work-around is tedious: I need to scan regularly then manually remove the late status for the low-stakes quizzes. This is inefficient for me and for the students who sometimes need to request that I make the next module available.

vicki_allan
Community Member

I too need this change.  Without it, the late policy is unusable.

jlevendi
Community Explorer

It looks like we've been asking for this for a few years now. Any chance Canvas will actually add this feature?...