[Discussions] Separate "Edit" and "Delete" discussion permissions

Separate discussion permission for edit and delete posts

Current option allows users to: "Edit and delete their own posts"

I might want to allow students to "delete" their posts but not to edit them (or edit but not delete). If Canvas is not going to alert me when a post as been edited (see my related idea: "Create new notification for edits to discussion replies"), then I would want to force them to simply reply to their original post with an update (that way I am alerted to the NEW reply and can also see the original for comparison).

So: change the permissions to allow "delete" and "edit" as separate options (can choose one or both or neither)

11 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@lshulman ‌, as currently written, this idea contains three separate requests: separating the edit/delete permission for discussion replies into two separate permissions; creating a new notification for edits to discussion replies; and a student's edit to a reply generating a change in the reply's status to "unread" (or "new"). Would you please modify the idea description so that it encompasses the first, and then create new feature ideas for the other two? We'll keep this idea in Moderating status for the moment.

Thanks.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@lshulman ‌, while this idea remains in Moderating status, we've just opened a different but related idea that might encompass some of the functionality you've described: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/16207-add-discussion-board-versioning-andor-undelete  Please take a moment to evaluate that idea and use it as context when you're re-writing to break your ideas out as separate submissions.

lshulman
Community Participant

I have updated this idea and added a second. I do think the second and third ideas you note are related, so I only did one new idea including both "mark as new" and "notify when edited".

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@lshulman ‌, thanks for editing this idea to bring it into a singular focus; we've opened it for voting.

Turning to the new submission, while both ideas are associated with discussions, the request as currently written requests enhancements to two separate Canvas features, and each of these requests needs to be prioritized separately. (I made a comment to that effect on your new idea submission.) We will be able to open your new idea once you've removed one of the two.

lshulman
Community Participant

understood, will do (I sometimes have to remind my own students to make "separate posts for different questions" so we can keep the discussions focused!)

- Laura Shulman

http://www.nvcc.edu/home/lshulman/<https://mail.nvcc.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=1c304ebbbd9647619d0159857a...;

~~~~~~~~~~

The more we know, the more we know, there's more to know, than we think we know!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for understanding and for making those edits,  @lshulman ‌! The revised idea is now open for voting.

snugent
Community Champion

I'm noticing that the Users must post before seeing replies option isn't working with the discussions redesign. I don't see this listed in features you plan implement. Will this be put into the new design as well? Our faculty use this feature a lot!

MarianneHudson
Community Novice

Please separate the functions of allowing a student to edit their own posts from allowing them to delete their own posts. I allow one, but not the other.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New