Set Assignment Default Due Time

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

We are a K-12 school. One of the biggest negative feedback items we receive on Canvas has to do with assignments being due at midnight (11:59). Parents are concerned that we effectively asking them to stay up until midnight to turn in their homework. This is especially important for our middle school and junior high students.

We would like to be able to set assignment due time to default to a time that can be set in our school's account settings.

Yes, it is true that teachers can change the time, but we are relying on them doing the extra steps all the time to match our school's assignment policy - and it requires a lot of clicks to make this simple change.

120 Comments
wgargaro
Community Novice

I agree and fully support this.  Several teachers in our building would love the ability to set a default time by course, but even by school would be better. 

mwade
Community Novice

Thanks Billy! Please vote for this and help us recruit votes.

wgargaro
Community Novice

I was trying to vote and did not see the option. 

mjanke
Community Novice

It doesn't appear that this is up for vote yet but when it is...  You've got my vote.  This would smooth a number of things out at our school.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

199767_pastedImage_3.pngThank you for your Feature Idea submission. We wanted to call your attention to https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/5440 which was submitted in a different voting period, but archived due to lack of votes or inadequate response. You may want to reference this idea for insight.

Since archived ideas can be re-submitted, your idea will be open for vote in the next voting cycle.

In the meantime, help your idea gain traction by posting a link to this idea in the comments of the other, archived idea (which will notify author and anyone who is following the idea) and share your idea to colleagues and peers as well.

ccollie
Community Novice

You have my vote.  As the instructor it would be nice to be able to set a default due time in each individual course settings.  As a high school teacher I teach 5 classes and I would like each classes assignments to default to be due at the beginning of each class, rather than midnight.  Seems like this would be a very easy feature to implement, and was shocked it was not already built in.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. September 7, 2016 - Wed. December 7, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

tbunag
Community Champion

This would be really helpful for higher ed, too. In one of the previous mentions of this idea, they discussed exactly how it might work at the account, sub account, course, and section level. This option would save hours for the faculty who teach a section at a particular time, and want homework or other assignments due just before class - a very common need.

It would be even better if this were implemented and reflected in the course import and copy.

ngee
Community Novice

This is so logical!!! In a k-12 setting, the default should be 8am, meaning students should have their homework done before arriving at school.  With the current system, it's too laborious to enter in a specific time of the class meeting, especially because we have a rotating schedule.  As a result, we just tell the kids to ignore the time and have all assignments finished when they arrive at school.  However, the 11:59 Default throws off their ability to use the agenda and other organizational tools on Canvas.  Instructors should be able to control the default, or it should at least be able to be set at the school level!

mwade
Community Novice

If you have other admins in your school, district, or affiliated schools, please have them vote this up as well.