Set Assignment Default Due Time

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

We are a K-12 school. One of the biggest negative feedback items we receive on Canvas has to do with assignments being due at midnight (11:59). Parents are concerned that we effectively asking them to stay up until midnight to turn in their homework. This is especially important for our middle school and junior high students.

We would like to be able to set assignment due time to default to a time that can be set in our school's account settings.

Yes, it is true that teachers can change the time, but we are relying on them doing the extra steps all the time to match our school's assignment policy - and it requires a lot of clicks to make this simple change.

120 Comments
crafte
Community Champion

I agree. This would be very helpful in higher education as well. I am adding Higher Education​ and Instructional Designers​ groups which will hopefully get more votes. Smiley Happy

petern
Community Contributor

Excellent idea.  I understand why the default was midnight for universities.  However, it's a pain when I've asked for work in at school and the students use the excuse that it's not due in until midnight.

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

This is an absolute must.

Also if you like this why not also vote for my Spanning feature which covers some similar areas.....

I would like to see a separate Start Date/End Date option alongside a Start TIme/End Time option

sara_chai
Community Contributor

I see that this could be helpful, but my students also know that they can resubmit after it is due.  The reason is because I make comments and they can turn in an updated assignment.  I love the comments section - and the potential for them to resubmit even after it is due!

mwade
Community Novice

There are many ways that teacher can use this feature. For you it would be help in communication of when something is due and ease parent concerns. However, there are many teachers that do not accept late work or deduct points for late assignments. For those teachers this is vitally important.

sara_chai
Community Contributor

I understand that some don't take it late.  I believe in learning for mastery so I do accept it late because they often revise it.  It is a teaching philosophy.

kschneider25
Community Champion

This would be a huge time-saver for the faculty that are using Turnitin. See comment https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers/blog/2015/04/18/canvas-and-turnitin?messageTarget=a...

I would ask that the instructor be able to set the default in their courses though instead of an admin setting.  But at this point, I'll take anything but 11:59 pm. 

dhulsey
Community Champion

Hey, Kori. What is wrong with 11:59 PM? Smiley Happy

ngee
Community Novice

Very few classes start at 11:59pm.  Many teachers require assignments be completed by the time class begins.  Therefore, every time a teacher wants the assignment due when class begins, they must change the time.  Much better to be able to control the default and eliminate the number of clicks, especially for a form that we use with such frequency as "assignments."

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

As a K12 teacher I need to tell you that I am not fussed on the time, in fact I have never had to do this on any other platform (one was optional).

If the students have me for the lesson on a Tuesday then they know that Tuesday is when they hand it in.

Not sure why I want to stipulate a time - just happy with the date.

Fairly unnecessary overcomplication IMO