Set Assignment Default Due Time

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

We are a K-12 school. One of the biggest negative feedback items we receive on Canvas has to do with assignments being due at midnight (11:59). Parents are concerned that we effectively asking them to stay up until midnight to turn in their homework. This is especially important for our middle school and junior high students.

We would like to be able to set assignment due time to default to a time that can be set in our school's account settings.

Yes, it is true that teachers can change the time, but we are relying on them doing the extra steps all the time to match our school's assignment policy - and it requires a lot of clicks to make this simple change.

120 Comments
MColby
Community Member

Instead of having to change the time each time I schedule a due date for an assignment (I do not want to tempt my ten-year-old students to stay up until 11:59 pm), I would like to be able to set a default time, such as 4:00 pm, that will auto-fill into that box, but could be changed if desired.

jeff_rives
Community Member

I agree that it is not a great idea to have middle school age and lower students turn work in at midnight.  It would be nice if you could set a default due time so it would have to be changed every time.  It would also be nice to have a default for the available time as well.  

cheney
Community Participant

How do we push this forward? It has been up for discussion since 2016 and there hasn't been any development on it? Teachers and parents are asking for this. With the move to remote learning, we need to be setting clear expectations with students and families that work is turned in before midnight and adjusting it for every assignment is extra clicks for teachers. We should be able to adjust this at the institution level at the very least and even at the course level. Thanks!

bock2
Community Explorer

Another case of Instructure refusing to make a simple change-- after almost 5 years!

I teach courses with remote students across time zones. If I set the due date to:

"Thursday 9/17/20 11:59pm"  [Note I am in Central Time]

Then my East Coast students see this: "Friday 9/18/20 00:59am"

And they assume the assignment is due Friday and the "1am" time is a mistake.

So instead, I have to go through and laboriously change EVERY due date to "10:59pm" to ensure that it doesn't confuse my East Coast students.

Seriously, Instructure?

Seriously, there should be a way to set the 

embriski
Community Member

Does anyone know if this has been changed? Can we set a default due date time? 

jamiemowry
Community Member

it seems that this has been a request for years. I need to be able to set default times for all my classes. I want to be able to set the assignment to open for each class time I teach and not have to add them every time I post an assignment, 

bourjaim
Community Participant

Another request that people have been asking for for years, and Canvas has done nothing.  How is this possibly a difficult request?  My school requires assignments to be due at class time, not at midnight.  A default time for each class/section would be a reasonable and effective solution.

MsVraz
Community Member

This is still wanted Canvas!  IT WOULD BE EXTREMELY HELPFUL!

DOES CANVAS EVEN READ THESE THREADS?  

MsVraz
Community Member

THIS HAS BEEN ASKED FOR SINCE 2015 - PLEASE DO THIS:

Set Assignment Default Due Time

We are a K-12 school. One of the biggest negative feedback items we receive on Canvas has to do with assignments being due at midnight (11:59). Parents are concerned that we effectively asking them to stay up until midnight to turn in their homework. This is especially important for our middle school and junior high students.

We would like to be able to set assignment due time to default to a time that can be set in our school's account settings.

Yes, it is true that teachers can change the time, but we are relying on them doing the extra steps all the time to match our school's assignment policy - and it requires a lot of clicks to make this simple change.

tkokinda
Community Member

I would actually prefer to be able to set my own defaults for assignments and to do lists by class period.  I have each homework being marked late if it is turned in after the first 5 minutes of class.  This would be a great feature to add as a time saver to teachers who are trying to utilize Canvas in as many ways as possible.