Set Assignment Default Due Time

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

We are a K-12 school. One of the biggest negative feedback items we receive on Canvas has to do with assignments being due at midnight (11:59). Parents are concerned that we effectively asking them to stay up until midnight to turn in their homework. This is especially important for our middle school and junior high students.

We would like to be able to set assignment due time to default to a time that can be set in our school's account settings.

Yes, it is true that teachers can change the time, but we are relying on them doing the extra steps all the time to match our school's assignment policy - and it requires a lot of clicks to make this simple change.

120 Comments
hburgiel
Community Participant

Having a default due time other than midnight is also a best practice for supporting the physical and mental health of college students, as per the "Mental Health and Wellness Today" panel discussion hosted by Education Now at Harvard.

meaghan_mc_bond
Community Member

Every year I search to figure out how to adjust the due time to match my course's new start time... and every year I see that this simple update continues to be ignored. Now I have to do 4 clicks times who knows how many assignments to fix it - again. Please fix this by the fall!!!!

dcohen112
Community Member

Please add this feature ASAP to allow an institution to choose it's default submission time.

MrsS-08
Community Member

It's so time consuming changing the time on due dates. An LMS is supposed to make us more productive, not less. Please add this!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: In Development
  Comments from Instructure

This idea is currently In Development. Please continue to follow this thread for updates!

jsailor
Instructure
Instructure

Great news, everyone! This feature has been developed and will release to beta on Monday, March 21st and production on Saturday, April 16th. Please watch our Canvas release notes and user guides for more details. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: On Beta

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2022-04-16) 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2022-04-16) 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed