Setting to keep highest grade for assignments?

(8)

I think Canvas should incorporate the option to keep the highest grade for assignments similar to how it does for quizzes. Here's my scenario and what I would like to accomplish. In my class students can turn in assignments until the end of the quarter. There is a 1% automatic deduction for every day late. A student might turn in an assignment and receive an 80%. That student continues to attempt to improve their grade by resubmitting the assignment. 20 days later they submit an assignment that warrants a 95%, however after the late deduction the assignment is only worth 75%. As of right now there is no setting to automatically take the higher grade in this situation. Once I grade the most recent submission that becomes the new grade, however I do not want to penalize the student for trying to improve their grade; i.e. they should still get the 80% instead of the 75%. In order to correct this I have to manually go back into grade book, turn off the late setting for that student and type in the grade. This can become quite the burden when you are grading 1000s of assignments and trying to keep track of who's grade need to be manually fixed. *You can not simply click the use the same grade for submission button as Canvas will then apply a late deduction to the original grade (resulting in my scenario in a 60%).

It seems like it would be a fairly simple fix since the function exists for quizzes. Thoughts?

7 Comments
RobDitto
Community Champion

Voted! Based on First Look: Teacher Assignment Enhancements, there's a good chance that the desired option is being developed. If we're lucky it will be released down the road.

Steven_S
Community Champion

I believe that you will be able to click the "use same grade" button once this bug is fixed: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-18005 

lmorse3
Community Novice

This is similar to my request. I teach Math. I use the late penalty. I have students who complete the work before it is due but then use it to review for the test. So, I had a student who had a 20/20 ontime for the assignment. However, when she completed it late just to practice with the late penalty she had a 0/20. Even though I have it set to keep the highest score, it kept the 0/20.

nschutz
Community Contributor

Voted. Based on this article https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-apply-a-Late-Submission-policy-in-the-G... Canvas will apply the late policy to the most recent graded submission. Our organization does not want to penalize resubmissions so we would also like to have the option to apply the late policy to the original submission so our teachers don't have to leave Speedgrader and go to the gradebook to change the penalty - all the while needing to remember what the original one was.

Gregory_Putman
Community Participant

Baffling... this is an option in new quizzes... so I'm really shocked by this not being an option on assignments. 

I honestly thought I was using this for assignments this semester (use highest grade for grade calculations) but see now that I was only seeing this in new quizzes.  Now my TAs and I will need to scour every assignment submission to check this.  It isn't uncommon at all for our lab students to submit, realize they are missing a graph, etc., then make a new submission or two...  Need to be sure the highest scored one is the one we are including into grade calculations.

This is my first semester with live students in Canvas after migrating from Blackboard.  Am really struggling with basic functionality issues like this all over the place compared to other LMS.  I'll go vote on this one, too.  I wish the voting thing was only for new features and not for basic functionality issues like this... 

Gregory_Putman
Community Participant

Hopefully this will get some attention. 

I've posted on nearly 30 conversations about serious, basic functionality shortcomings/issues.  This is the newest conversation - it only dates back to 2020.  Many of the others I've commented on, up voted, etc., typically go back to 2016 or so but a couple of them all the way back to 2011.  None of them have received enough up votes, apparently, because none of them have been addressed and all are still open and active.  Grade book is so overly restrictive that it doesn't even actually calculate an average grade, quizzes and new quizzes don't allow for a question to be designated bonus/extra credit, I can't choose to restrict TA access/privileges at all so complete access to edit or delete anything they see fit or to help limit "accidents" from happening, I can batch edit dates on assignments but cannot bulk edit time of day associated with those dates so copying content into new semester sections of classes is very cumbersome to prep, to name a few.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.