Several ideas for improving eportfolio

0 Likes
(1)

I have several ideas for fixing ePortfolio. Currently, it lacks some basic features and looks unprofessional. It already has a huge edge over competition by being connected to Canvas. But other than that, its functionality is seriously lacking. Here are my ideas:

The first is making the rich content editor similar to what's in pages. That way, kids can embed documents, add videos, etc. They can also use the html editor. This is the single-most important change that needs to take place. 

The second is making it easier to find assignments you've submitted. Currently, there's no way to search for them by class, so students need to look through hundreds of old assignments to find what they're looking for. And then they aren't embedded in the page?

The third is moving the pages from the right to the left. It's hard to tell the hierarchy between sections and pages. Having them on the same side would fix that.

The fourth is using less words and more buttons. All the text (some bold, some blue, some in italics) starts to run together after a while. For example, when you're editing a page, there are four choice on the right to add content. There should just be a (+) button on the bottom to add more.

I have more ideas, but I'll stop there. The most important thing is making it so ePortfolio has the same rich content editor as Pages. If that isn't changed, I will stop using ePortfolio.

1 Comment
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@Mister_Poe 

Thanks for sharing these ideas about ePortfolio. The Idea Conversations forum accommodates requests for a single enhancement to a particular feature, as described in more detail in How do I create a new idea conversation in the Canvas Community? As this idea combines multiple ideas in a single submission, it wouldn't be possible for our members to have a focused conversation about just one, nor would they be able to apply an appropriate rating to express that they might like one or two of the ideas, but not the others.

We have a number of conversations already underway requesting these or similar enhancements to the ePortfolio tool, and here are some of them:

Make editing ePortfolio pages more user friendly - Canvas Community

Add In-Line File Preview to ePortfolios - Canvas Community

Delete ePortfolios when the related user is delete... - Canvas Community

Fix download ePortfolio tool - Canvas Community

Also, have you considered creating a Folio in Portfolium instead of using the ePortfolio tool? You'll find more information about Folios in Portfolium Network - Canvas Community 

Thanks!