Share student assignment submission

(5)
We need a way for instructors and students to easily share an individual student assignment submission with the entire class. In a previous lifetime, we outlined the functional needs in the old forums (see http://help.instructure.com/entries/21210657-publish-or-share-student-assignments-selectively)

I know we can create an open graded discussion and allow attachments, but we'd like to take individual assignment submissions and publish it as an example for the rest of the enrolled students. It would be great to have a way to do this, as we used to be able to in Blackboard. Students could also opt to publish their own assignments to share.

36 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Susan.  Great question.

How does the voting process work for feature ideas?​ explains archive very well, which is why I usually reference it when this question comes up!

Archived

(Not Currently Planned)

An idea might be marked as 'not currently planned' and then archived. We will comment and provide clear reasons for why we don't plan to work on the idea. Some idea cannot be developed because of a technical limitation.  Others do not fit with overall product direction or do not warrant the resources they would take to implement, relative to other requests.  Sometimes ideas that we like but cannot address within the next six months will also be marked at Archived.  When that happens we will reconsider the idea during the next round of prioritization and will update the thread on ideas that stay in Archived status or move into development.

To expand on your specific question, and the definition above, we archive ideas that are more than 6 months out to give our community an honest representation of what we are working on now, or hope to be working on in the near future.  While a 6 month window seems short, it is amazing how much can change in 6 months.

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

Oh, I know. I've been to that page. It's not the 6 month part, it's the one location/word for "Archived" Ideas because it seems that is a holding place for that set serves two purposes that are not all that distinguishable from each other at first glance as the top part --the title, number of votes, actual idea-- they look identical with the gray "Archived".

Two Purposes:

1) "this is a great idea, just not on the current 6 month road map but we'll look at it again then"

2) "Panda-Catted"

Both types go into the same "Archive" status. But, "Archived Panada-Catted" Ideas come with this line at the bottom of the page: "Potentially. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. All feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and may influence product direction."

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

We've had very similar discussions as a team, Susan!  It's been a tough decision.  The reason it is tough is that there are many times now that we have pulled a panda-catted idea out of archive and placed it into 'under consideration', 'in development', or complete.  Archive really is a fluid stage.  That doesn't mean we won't change this in the future, but for now this is the process we have settled on!  We appreciate the feedback!

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

One last question. How do you tell if a "not on roadmap" Idea has been (archived) Archived because it's no longer viable or under consideration/gathering information? Will it get a Panda-Cat notice?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The official "Instructure comment" within the idea will provide that information- as it usually requires an explanation!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

philippe_baudri
Community Novice

Any updates about this feature? We are trying to build complex pedagogical scenarios based on building content step-by-step and it would be really useful to be able to instantely share individual submitted assignments (even group conferences, etc.).
Thank you to consider it, Philippe

kilian_seeber
Community Novice

A feature like this would open Canvas up to new, collaborative learning approaches! The advantages of such approaches are well documented in the literature.

manuela_motta
Community Novice

For trainers who want to implement collaborative learning and build on peer-feedback so that students can learn while they comment, explain and analyse other ways of solving issues, this kind of feature is simply A MUST!

Long awaited .... maybe shortly coming?

abigail_smith_2
Community Contributor

Adding to the list of people saying this needs to be available for group presentations as well, not just individual student presentations. And it needs to be able to set for a grade (both at the group and individual levels.)

RobDitto
Community Champion

@adarsh ‌ has just suggested a special case of this for sharing group discussions (presumably, both ungraded and graded) with everyone in the course selectively:

adarsh
Community Participant

Thanks  @RobDitto ‌! Yes, I don't think it matters whether it is a graded or ungraded activity but the ability to replicate a breakout session in the discussion board would be invaluable. 

biztwc
Community Novice

My institution has just adopted Canvas and I realised that Canvas does not have this feature that we used to have in our previous LMS.  This feature is particularly useful for me, as it allows my students to share their work and learn from each other, without interference from me.   Would be good if Canvas adopts this feature soon.

Carter41
Community Participant

I 100% agree with you biztwc. We are in the process of setting up assignments and would like to them be public or private. Private assignments would be ones where there is just one correct answer and we want to prevent cheating (i.e., naming the notes of a scale). Public assignments would be where all students in the class can see what their classmates submitted and can also comment on (i.e., a songwriting demo).

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you for sharing this idea with the Instructure Community!

The Product Team reviewed all feature proposals recently, and unfortunately, this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!