Shared Google Docs

0 Likes

In my course, students work in Google docs throughout the semester. I would like a central repository for persistent links to Google docs used by the class. 

Tags (1)
4 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

Thanks for sharing this idea, @egsmith3 . Canvas accommodates this through the Collaborations tool:  How do I create a Google Docs collaboration as an ...  

For frequently-used documents that are not collaborations but that students use and re-use over the course of the semester, have you considered creating a custom page in the course that provides the links so students can easily access them? 

egsmith3
Community Member

That's great except I have more than 200 students and I want them all to see the shared docs. And they are sometimes slides or docs or spreadsheets--it's a mix. 

I usually use the setting that makes the files visible to anyone at ASU to ensure all students can see the docs without individually authorizing them. Is there a way to see a shared Google drive, with the list of docs in it through Canvas? 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@egsmith3  If students only need to see the documents but don't necessarily need to collaborate on them, a page with links to the documents should work well.

Canvas doesn't have the ability to display the contents of a shared Google Drive within the course, and most of the implementation around such functionality might well need to be provided by Google—if this is something they'd be willing to do.

Google Drive users can share a link to a folder. Have you tried providing the students a link to a Google Drive folder of your creation that contains all of the documents they'll need to access? As long as the settings on the folder and the file contents are set to "anyone at ASU," they should be able to access all of the contents without waiting for additional functionality.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived