Show Display Name in SpeedGrader

0 Likes
(2)

Hello! Is it possible to allow students to put their preferred first name after their enrolled name somewhere in Canvas? And could it show in the speedgrader? Notes under grades are great, but they don't show in speedgrader. I have many students who use other than their enrolled name, and many with the same name. For example, I have 5 Catherine/kathryns in my courses this semester; some go by their given name, but others go by Katie, Kat, Kathy. It is hard to remember, and I want to personalize feedback as much as possible. Thanks!

6 Comments
ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

kseaman
Community Explorer

I am an admin in Canvas. Our institution pulls our information for users from our SIS; however, some students have preferred names that they would like to go by. While we do pull a preferred name (also from our SIS) that gets filtered into the "display name" in Canvas, it would be great if there was a setting in the account area for users to check to have their "display name" show everywhere, including in external tools, assignments, attendance, people, etc. This way, there is one name that is displayed all across Canvas and its tools.

kfalcone
Community Member

I came here to ask the same thing!!  What I have noticed is that my students are changing their display name to the name they prefer, but when I am grading discussions in speedgrader I can only see their official name and don't see their display name.  So, when I am personalizing comments, I am still using their official name.  It would be very helpful if their display name was shown somewhere on the speedgrader page so I respect the name they wish to be called.  I would guess from the students' experience it may be perceived that although they changes their name in Canvas, I am still choosing to use their official name.

Is there anyway for speedgrader to include the students' display name?   

Maybe a possible solution is to include their display name with their profile pic on the posts in speedgrader so that it looks exactly the same as it does in the discussion, right now we just see their profile pic.  This would also mean we could see their preferred pronouns when grading too. 

UPDATE:  Just realized their display name shows in plain text at the top of their posts in Speedgrader, I had completely missed it!  Maybe make it colored and include their pronouns so it is easier to see and we don't miss it 🙂

RyanRGates
Community Member

I am not seeing what you see in our speed grader. I only see the top right corner their official name. Are you talking about in discussions? 

AlaynaGrady
Community Member

Hello, I am here for the same reason as others looking for display names in SpeedGrader. Right now, I see a legal name in SpeedGrader when an assignment is submitted. However, if an assignment is missing, I see the display name. Is there any plan to make display names visible in SpeedGrader? 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.