Show all question details in quiz and question bank

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote Wed. July 1, 2015 - Wed. October 7, 2015  Learn more about voting...

The question detail shown within a quiz and within a bank does not show all details.  Images are attached to illustrate the problem.  The first image shows the question in the editor and thus all details  The second image shows the question detail for the same question displayed within a quiz.  Note that general comments are not displayed in the detail.  The third image shows the question detail for the same question from within the quiz bank.  Note the general comments are not displayed and the correct answer is not displayed.

The user shouldn't have to edit the question to view all of the question details in a quiz or question bank.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-10-08)

*Note:  We recognize that only one element of this feature idea was implemented, however we are marking it as 'in beta'.  This is an example of why we work so hard to have ideas submitted as individuals - so that they can be easily tracked and updated!

29 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

This feature idea is now open for voting.

mdurler
Community Member

Please include correct answer in that detail.  I should not have to open each question individually to verify what the correct answer is when editing.

James
Community Champion

I haven't messed with Question Banks in a while until last night. I agree that we definitely need to know which answer is the correct one when we show question details -- just as it does in quizzes. I didn't discover I had the wrong answer until I had copied them into a quiz and then had to go back into the Bank after fixing it in the quiz and fix it a second time.

kent_ratajeski
Community Member

Every instructor knows what a pain it is to deal with mistakes on exams after they have been given.  We definitely need to be able to scan the entire exam (all questions and answers) on one page before we publish the thing.  Why would Canvas not have thought of this? 

crafte
Community Champion

I wish more Canvas community members voted for this feature. Another big problem arises when instructors try to select specific question types for an exam. If a question bank has more that a certain number of questions, the details are no longer available. Most publisher test banks have more than 100 questions per chapter. Instructors will need to click on each question and sometimes have to go into edit mode in order to find out what the question type is. We have had many complaints from instructors who would like to be able to pull only one question type into a quiz. One option would be to add a setting that would allow instructors to create a question group in a quiz and be able to check the question type they want the group to randomly select from the test bank.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

77296_pastedImage_0.png110199_pastedImage_0.png

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to keep reading the explanation of our archive process for Feature Ideas

Archive: An archived Feature Idea is not dead forever, but it has been taken out of stage progression. After Community members submit feature ideas, they are reviewed by the Community Team and put to a vote by the community-at-large. If the idea does not receive 100 votes within 3 months it will be archived. Ideas that reach the 100 vote threshold within the first three months remain open for voting. Find more information about this process at How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Yes. Some feature ideas that do not receive the initial 100 votes can be resubmitted by Community members. As people's needs change, sometimes an old idea gets new traction. Oftentimes similar archived feature ideas are still evaluated as a whole and may influence product direction.

quz2
Community Participant

This idea really, really needs to be reconsidered. For instructors who are used to viewing all exam question details on paper, this will make them not want to migrate to Canvas. For instructors using question banks from the textbook, the 25 question limit is so easy to surpass. For programs where professors collaborate to build their own question banks, they need a much larger bank to share so that no questions are repeats for students.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Qi,

If you haven't already, you might want to check out Modern Quizzing Engine where many users have been contributing notes on what should be included in a quiz overhaul.

Thanks

cchance
Community Novice

Hi everyone! I just wanted you all to know that I have submitted another request for this. Please go vote and maybe we can get something done!! Thanks!! -Chandler

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2016-09-26)

*Note:  We recognize that only one element of this feature idea was implemented, however we are marking it as 'in beta'.  This is an example of why we work so hard to have ideas submitted as individuals - so that they can be easily tracked and updated!