[Rich Content Editor] Show entire toolbar

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Every button on the toolbar should be visible in the new RCE by default. The new RCE toolbar presently collapses if there is too little horizontal space to show all buttons. One must then click the triple dot (kabob) button every time they want to access collapsed buttons. Extra clicks are a pain point. Buttons that are out of sight are out of mind.

My first choice for implementing this idea would be to wrap toolbar button groups onto as many additional rows as are needed to show them all. A collapse button could appear at the end to satisfy those who favor a minimal look.

My second choice would be replacing the existing triple dot icon with an expand/collapse button so that one could expand the toolbar across multiple rows. The expanded or collapsed state should persist wherever one opens the RCE.

Added to Theme

8 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi,  @stimme , thanks for sharing this idea; it's open for voting. Although it's not explicitly stated in your idea, the current functionality is that all of the tools on the RCE toolbar display (and the kabob disappears) when the user widens the browser.

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi, Samuel,

We have a new addition for the RCE in our deploy coming on August 12. Would you take a look and see if those changes will help with what you're ultimately looking for here?  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-26928-canvas-deploy-notes-2020-08-12 

Thanks,

Erin

leward
Community Contributor

Hi @erinhmcmillan .   IMO, the August 12 updates do not address the need described her which is also a high priority at IU.  The new RCE requires extra clicks to access very commonly used features such as inserting documents, media, links, tables, etc.  While U understand the desire to simplify the UX for less experienced users, hiding frequently used tools creates more work for those who need ready access to these features.  Regardless of how you access the Insert options (menu or toolbar), selecting one of these options requires two clicks instead of one, and you now need to remember where the options are located.  I personally like the idea of treating the toolbar display as a user setting.  Those who want to see the full toolbar all the time should be able to enable a setting that persists across all tools and courses until or unless they unless they turn the setting off.

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi @leward,

I know our product manager is aware of the clicks, which is still planned. Please see RCE Updates - Summer 2020.

Thanks,

Erin

leward
Community Contributor

Thanks, @erinhmcmillan .  I think I skimmed that doc a while ago, but there was a lot to take in and  I never got back to it...probably forgot about it.

KcDaugirdas
Community Member

I agree that this feature is essential.  The required screen width to show all of the tools in the current implementation is EXTREMELY wide.  It wouldn't be an issue to allow the tools to exist in multiple rows.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
  Comments from Instructure

This idea will be partially addressed in an upcoming Deploy.

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2023-04-26) 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2023-04-26) 

While this thread was not completed in its entirety, the Product Team has decided to mark it as Complete. If a Community member would like to submit a new idea based on the newest functionality released on April 26, 2023, you are welcome to do so!

What are the guidelines for submitting a new idea?