Show preview of filenames or direct link to files in "new file posted" email notifications

0 Likes
(5)

It would be super helpful if a link to the newly posted file was included in email notifications for "new file posted". Currently, the email just tells you that a new file was posted in your course, but doesn't tell you which folder it is in, or even the filename. It's annoying having to comb through all of the folders for the course in search of the new one, with the risk of totally missing it anyway.

6 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

scottsomerville
Community Novice

Email notifications from Canvas are useful. They notify me when an instructor uploads a new file to canvas. The email notifications always read "XX new files have been added for the course, XXXXXX :" These notifications will be even better if they contain the file names and a link to the folder in which they are contained. 

Let me give you an example of my frustration. I had a class last year where the instructor uploaded 100 files, deposited in to 10 different folders. The instructor edited and re-uploaded the files often. Each time the class received email notifications from canvas, and each time we all had to click through 10 folders to find the file that was uploaded or re-uploaded. 

This could be easier in many ways. 1) put the file name and file path or a link in the notification email. 2) Display the most recent upload date next to each folder. 3) Display a page within each class of all files sorted by upload date. 

Students miss material because files can be hidden in the class page. 

I am a PhD student and have been using Canvas for 2 years. I have been unable to find a convenient way to cope with the file uploads other than spending lots of time each day cross checking the files on Canvas with those that I have previously downloaded. 

DanParkerLiverp
Community Novice

This would be really useful to list the names of files that have been uploaded

orangecactus
Community Member

Another way this could be improved is if there is a "new files" section in the Files navigation menu, so you can easily see the new files that you haven't yet opened at the top of the list without digging through all the folders.

KyraK
Community Member

Users can choose to receive an email notification when a new file is uploaded to their course. When only one file is uploaded, the notification provides a link to this file. However, when more than one file is uploaded, the notification links to the course files page, not indicating which files are new.

It would help students if they can see which files are new, so they don't have to screen all the files to find the added ones. Could notifications state the name of the file(s) that has/have been uploaded?

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.