Show quiz and correct answers to all students after due date

(2)

With the current options, there is no way to allow all students, including students who have not taken the quiz, to review it after the "until" date.

I want everyone to be able to view the quiz and the correct answers, but I don't want new submissions after the due date.

Workarounds include:

* Not using the "until" field, then manually zeroing out late quiz scores.  This requires extra work for the teacher, and zeroing out grades after the fact makes for a poor student experience if they catch onto what is happening.  (And someone usually does!)

* Using the "until" field to lock the quiz, but creating a PDF of the quiz with correct answers that becomes available when the quiz locks.  This requires the teacher to take a screenshot with the correct answers, make a PDF (or other file format), upload it, and create a new item in Canvas that points to the file and becomes available at the specified date/time.  That PDF needs to be kept in sync with any changes to the quiz.

Neither workaround is much good, especially if quizzes are used extensively.

I have a "reading quiz" before nearly every class.  The lowest few are dropped from the grade, because hey, things happen.  But regardless of whether they take it, students should be able to review these quizzes when studying for tests.

As flipped and hybrid classrooms become more popular, I expect the demand for this feature will continue to grow.  There are already a number of people who have requested it:

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/10180 (archived feature request)

Keeping a quiz visible but not allowing students to submit answers 

How can I allow students to view but not take a quiz after it has closed? 

Please strongly consider this improvement.  I am disappointed that the identical request linked above was relegated to Cold Storage without explanation.

6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello,  @jhartman31  and  Welcome to the Canvas Community! https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/14583-new-quizzes-show-and-hide-quiz-results-by-date is currently open for voting, so please add your support to the existing idea. We've archived this one to remove the duplication.

Thanks!

jhartman31
Community Explorer

Hi Stefanie,

I saw the question you linked before I wrote mine. I don't think it's related.

My problem is that currently only students who have taken the quiz can view results after it is locked by the "available until" date. The feature request that you linked relates to showing / not showing whether answers are correct.

Please un-archive my feature request.

Thank you,

Jake

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi,  @jhartman31 ‌, thanks for pointing that out. I missed that nuance.

Since we already have a comprehensive feature idea open that requests date release fields for quiz results, would you refine your idea so that focuses specifically on the ability to show all students (not only students who have taken the quiz) the quiz responses after the quiz is locked? That would make it complementary to the existing idea.

Thanks!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for editing the idea,  @jhartman31 ‌. It's open for voting.

cwoodwar1
Community Participant
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived