Show "Inactive" Label Per Section on the People Page

0 Likes
(15)

Currently, on the People page in a course, the "Inactive" label shows for a user only if they are inactive in all sections within the course. 

For example, here's a student who is enrolled in three sections within one Canvas course. The student is enrolled in one lecture section, one lab section, and one lab section that's been dropped (we inactivate dropped enrollments to preserve their data). There is no "Inactive" label for this student, and it's impossible for the instructor to tell which section the student is inactive in. 

Canvas Inactive Issue.png

You can clearly see that there are only 2 active student enrollments and last access information for this user, but I can't tell which sections that information is associated with.

I'd like to suggest adding an "Inactive" label for each section listed for a user, rather than their overall enrollment. This would help instructors quickly see what section a student is truly associated with, and can help inform what content students will have access to if messages are sent or differentiated due dates are used in the course.

7 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Maeve_McCooey
Community Coach
Community Coach

I support this idea fully. All our courses have multiple sections and it is challenging to identify and understand what students are actively enrolled in what course sections or otherwise.

palmarinich
Community Contributor

+1  This seems to fall under the "no brainer" category.  Not a huge issue, but it certainly has caused confusion for some of our faculty when a student switches from one section to another.  If the student unenrolls from the course entirely, the Inactive labels seems to work correctly. 

palmarinich
Community Contributor

I'd like to add that this same issue is present in other places in a course, including:

• People > Edit Sections > Section Enrollments
  • Gradebook (when displayed in the Student Name column)
  • Settings > Sections > Current Enrollments (see below)

From what I can tell, in a course with multiple sections, when a student drops one section, and enrolls in another, the drop ("Inactive") is not indicated anywhere for the instructor.  Please correct me if I'm mistaken, or if this might be related to our own environment, SIS process, etc. (we are not using Cross-Listing, but merge sections via SIS).

EXAMPLES:

People EditSections_SectionEnrollments.png

Grades_StudentName.png

Settings_Sections_SectionEnrollments.png

jlubkinchavez
Community Contributor

Agreed. Where it impacts our courses is both on People and in the Settings>Sections>Current Enrollments list. It's very confusing for teachers.

ldavenport4015
Community Participant
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived