Shuffle answers at the question level

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Canvas allows the possible answers of all the questions to be shuffled, which is a great option when we want to make our quizzes more secure and avoid that students pass the answers along. Nevertheless, sometimes there are questions in which the correct answer is, for example, A and C are correct or all of the above are correct. In these cases we can't use the shuffle option.

I would like to see the ability to choose shuffling at the question level like I can in moodle.  Suppose I have 20 questions in a test and in 10 of them the answers should not be shuffled. The other 10 questions should have the answers shuffled.  The way Canvas is now this cannot be accomplished.

This was brought up before but was closed.  I'm new to Canvas and being forced to switch from Moodle.

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
27 Comments
broxholm
Community Member

Moodle is far superior with this feature and not having it will severely restrict my ability to teach my class.

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@broxholm ​...

Instructure is working on an overhaul of the quizzing feature of Canvas, and you can find more information plus lots of discussion here: Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine.  I would suggest that you add your comments to that thread...as this may be something they are already considering in their implementation.  Hope this helps.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

190060_pastedImage_3.pngThank you for your Feature Idea submission. We wanted to call your attention to ​ and , which were both submitted in a different voting period, but archived due to lack of votes or inadequate response. You may want to reference this idea for insight.

Since archived ideas can be re-submitted, your idea will be open for vote in the next voting cycle.

In the meantime, help your idea gain traction by posting a link to this idea in the comments of the other, archived idea (which will notify author and anyone who is following the idea) and share your idea to colleagues and peers as well.

Also, as  @Chris_Hofer ​ suggested, you may want to follow and/or include additional comments in the Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine​ document.

Smiley Happy

stefonikbenjami
Community Novice

It is a major impingement to not allow the option to shuffle answers at the individual question level.  I am being forced to switch to Canvas and this is a major problem for me as many of my questions include "Answers A and B" type responses.  Allowing question shuffling at the individual level should be standard for an LMS and should not require a popularity vote as it is a elemental pedagogical tool for quizzing. 

broxholm
Community Member

Ben,  I too am being forced to switch and find the current quiz engine far below standards.  We are being promised a new quiz engine with a ton of great features.  I can not function until this new quiz engine is implemented. This new quiz engine is at least 2 years behind other LMS systems I have used.  School districts are jumping on the Canvas band wagon because of cost and the real cost is to our students and the additional time placed on the instructor.  Penny wise, pound foolish.

gschultz
Community Contributor

This would be a great to turn on/off shuffling at the question level.  I was just researching this issue for a similar submission for another faculty member. I was running across a similar issue when the answer was  "all of the above" which is hard to to shuffle when it might not be at the bottom.  I could shuffle answer "a-c" but would like "d" stay at the bottom.  This way the answers would always appear different to the individual students.

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@gschultz ​...

From what I've seen during Deactivated user​' presentation on Quizzes 2.0, the ability to leave "all of the above" at the bottom is coming.

gschultz
Community Contributor

I was just reviewing the Modern Quiz Engine and going to watch the presentation.  Thanks

sthomas41
Community Novice

I wish I could vote 100 times for this!  (Shuffle per question is available in Blackboard).

jbuchner
Community Contributor

Eliminate or A & B questions by making the questions "Multiple Answers" and modify your stems to say "mark off all that apply."