Shuffle answers at the question level

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Canvas allows the possible answers of all the questions to be shuffled, which is a great option when we want to make our quizzes more secure and avoid that students pass the answers along. Nevertheless, sometimes there are questions in which the correct answer is, for example, A and C are correct or all of the above are correct. In these cases we can't use the shuffle option.

I would like to see the ability to choose shuffling at the question level like I can in moodle.  Suppose I have 20 questions in a test and in 10 of them the answers should not be shuffled. The other 10 questions should have the answers shuffled.  The way Canvas is now this cannot be accomplished.

This was brought up before but was closed.  I'm new to Canvas and being forced to switch from Moodle.

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
27 Comments
angelah_meekey
Community Member

An additional issue with having to shuffle all answer choices is that many of our EC students are still get pull-outs and read aloud accommodations.  If the answer choices are shuffled then they may not have the answer choices read to them in the order that is on their screen.

rterry
Community Novice

I have used several other LMS's and there was always an option to shuffle answers to questions selectively.  Otherwise,  all of the above is not an option.   

If you don't shuffle answers, is a) ALWAYS the right option?  I assume I can change this? 

Please fix ASAP.  

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@rterry ‌, if you don't shuffle answer choices, a) will always be the correct answer unless you change it, which you can easily do (see View Correct Answer and Change Correct Answer in How do I create a Multiple Choice quiz question? )

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta Quizzes LTI User Group 

This feature is now available through the new Quizzes LTI tool.  Find more information on the Quizzes LTI tool, and how to access it, at Quizzes LTI User Group 

This feature of the Quizzes LTI tool is found in many of the 'create a question' guides, under the section header: Edit Question.  It is located in the 'Options" menu of the question.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed