[People] Sort Students in People List: Course

@people list is alphabetical by last names, which is not helpful. Please add sorting function by "First Name", "Section", "last Activity" and "Total Activity". All other tabular lists should be sort-able as well.

Add Group to the columns and Sort by group is needed as well. Jan 26, 2018 @kristine Hansen @dale Anne Davidson

Profile Picture Name Login ID SIS ID Section Role Last Activity Total Activity

The sorting function has been available in Proctorio Exam Results for a while.

When will the Canvas development team pay their attention to this as a production priority because an overall sorting function is required for ALL tabular lists in Canvas!!

93 Comments
RobDitto
Community Champion

@sworrell ‌, at our institution, the "go-to" method for this need is to download grades from the Gradebook and then sort in Excel by the Section column.

davidson_399
Community Novice

@Sterling Worrell, do you have the Beta version of grade book? If so, the grade book beta can be viewed by sections, assignment groups, or modules. I have found no way to sort People by section or alphabetically by first name. 

p_a_hudson
Community Participant

We moved from an in-house system to Canvas. I spent quite some time arguing backwards and forwards with our academic staff over how to present class lists. Eventually, my colleagues felt lists should default to 'surname first' (as it is on in the Canvas gradebook). It would be helpful if I could control at least the default sort order of the People view.

sworrell
Community Novice

All of my courses have multiple periods (or "sections") so being able to sort by sections in "people" and "announcements" would be a huge time saver. It's great that we can sort by sections in gradebook and speedgrader already.

yang_gong
Community Novice

Rob,

Is there a way to combine the previous 48 and current 95? We've already got >100 votes, sufficient to draw the team's attention.  @RobDitto ‌

RobDitto
Community Champion

@yang_gong ‌, like you, I work for a university. I'm afraid a member of the communityteam‌ will need to weigh in on your question about the possibility of combining previous votes.

My intent in linking the previous idea was indeed to encourage the previous 48 to vote here.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@yang_gong  

Last year about this time we updated our process, and ideas are no longer in a race to 100 votes.  You can read about the update in https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2109-how-does-the-voting-process-work-for-feature-ideas?sr=...

We don't merge ideas or votes.  Each idea now has a 6 month window of opportunity to earn votes.  Every window of opportunity (resubmission) is treated as new, since priorities and needs do change over time. 

Rob had the right idea, reach out to the people who voted on the other idea and see if it is still a priority to them!

yang_gong
Community Novice

I assume that we do have some folks from the previous 48 votes who also voted here. We got a rapid increase from 95 to 120 within 24 hours.  @RobDitto  Nice Job, Folks!

yang_gong
Community Novice

@Renee_Carney ‌ Is there a way to know the percentile of this post thus far? The new idea process is a bit unclear to me.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@yang_gong  

The percentile is calculated at the 6 month mark, and based on the cohort of ideas submitted in the same month.  If/when an idea persists beyond the archive date it's not guaranteed development - just wanted to make sure to add that.  Gathering many votes is great, for it shows that a number of people have identified this as a priority.  When we go through our prioritization exercises we also look at where all of those votes came from - looking for a broad representation of users.