Speed Grader should save point adjustments automatically when switching between students

0 Likes
(1)

When using SpeedGrader to grade by question, currently you have to click "update scores" at the bottom for each student before moving on to the next one, or you will lose the points and comments you have entered. This is a cumbersome extra step when you are moving through a lot of exams quickly, question by question. SpeedGrader should just save entered points and comments automatically when you click to move to another student.

Tags (1)
8 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@cssmit Could you clarify these two ideas? My testing shows that Speedgrader automatically saves the points the instructor enters when the instructor navigates to the next student; the instructor does not need to click on the Update Scores button to accomplish this.

Turning to the comments piece, Speedgrader automatically saves a draft of each comment the instructor enters when the instructor navigates to the next submission. Would you like to modify the idea so that it focuses solely on a request for an enhancement to the autosave behavior for comments?

Thanks.

cssmit
Community Member

@Stef_retired, Speedgrader will save entered scores temporarily, but will lose them if you don't click "update scores." For me, scores and per-question (callout) comments are lost after about five students. In other words, if I enter a score and comment on a question, then go forward and grade another five students, when I go back the first student's scores and questions are blank.

(To clarify, I'm not talking about the overall assignment comments, but rather the per-question comments that appear as little callouts below each question)

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@cssmit Is this idea related to saving scores entered in quizzes (i.e. in the left pane)? If so, would you specify whether you're using Classic or New Quizzes?

cssmit
Community Member

Yes, that's right. Classic quizzes, when grading them by question.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@cssmit 

Thanks for clarifying that. As our product teams are no longer developing new functionality on the code base for Old (Classic) Quizzes, which is scheduled for deprecation, we've archived this idea. 

Once you've had a chance to start using New Quizzes in your live courses, we hope you'll contribute to one or more of the requests for enhancements to the new quiz tool currently being discussed here. New Quizzes doesn't yet have one-question-at-a-time grading functionality, so the first priority would be to support Add Grade by Question Feature in New Quizzes - Canvas Community 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

cssmit
Community Member

@Stef_retiredOk, thank you. That's disappointing that there won't be any more improvements to classic quizzes.

DavidHan
Community Member

I want to change the points for an assignment and if I already graded it, I would like the points to adjust to the new points, instead of having me grade it again...