[SpeedGrader] Allow Simultaneous Grading

SpeedGrader documentation ( https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12774-415255021 ) states that only one grader from a course can work in SpeedGrader at a time. Users report that not all grades and comments are saved when multiple graders from the same course are using SpeedGrader simultaneously. This is a known limitation in SpeedGrader and we would like to see this updated. This is particularly important for large courses.

SpeedGrader is generally designed for one instructor role to grade submissions at a time. Because of how SpeedGrader data is loaded and stored in the browser, multiple users should not grade assignments at the same time since each grader cannot view the most recent information for a submission. Updated grades also affect the Gradebook.

Added to Theme

21 Comments
rpayne4
Community Participant

This needs more up-voting. 
Just discovered this problem in the worst way possible with teachers marking different elements of the rubric around the same time. Many rubric comments appear to be lost....

sharon_kitching
Community Contributor

Are they saving the rubric & comments, or using the submit save at the button. Again, multiple SAVE buttons on the one page. There should be only one, and it updates the whole lot, regardless. 

sharon_kitching
Community Contributor

I've had a number of issues with the workflow of grading. If you're marking one question, why the 3 step workflow? So you enter mark (and if you move to the next student, THIS IS NOT SAVED). The number of people doing this is frightening. Instead, you have to update mark (and there are 2 save buttons - why?) and then move to the next person. Perhaps it would be better to have a save & move to the next person, or moving to the next person triggers an automatic page save. Too many extra clicks. 

tim_kato
Community Contributor

Great feedback! I almost want to say that auto-save would be nice. At the very least, proceeding to the next student should save

sharon_kitching
Community Contributor

There is an auto-save, but only in the local browser session. So I've got lots of people saying 'it's saved' and moving to the next student, etc, and THEN closing the browser, session wiped. Sad emoticons all round. Meanwhile, I'm wandering around like a Cassandra, yelling 'Save! button'. 

James
Community Champion

@sharon_kitching , I have save and advance in my SpeedGrader. It saves a lot of time: QuizWiz: Enhancements to SpeedGrader and Quizzes.

My wife uses it as well and likened it to the keyless entry on her van (you forget it's there until you work on a system that doesn't have it installed) in a presentation we did in 2017 called Accomplish the Impossible. The part about QuizWiz starts at 15:49.

It does get crowded though as I duplicate existing update buttons rather than replacing them. I did not write one that updates everything and advances.

sharon_kitching
Community Contributor

Thanks James, I'll have a look Smiley Happy 

annasthoren
Community Member

In Gothenburg University we recently had yet another case with a course leader who created a marking template and shared it with her colleagues for the procedure of marking the assignments. She had organized the job very well and was therefore very disappointed when her colleagues complained that the marks dissappeared "even though they had remembered to save their work after each finished assignment". This is a very urgent feature for our Swedish higher education context.

Mikee
Community Participant

Stunned to find this is an 'idea' and not 'default behavior' - Having the capability to permit distributed access and modification to a resource should not be a request, particularly for a platform that prides itself on availability.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New