[SpeedGrader] set to Alphabetical Should Not Return to the Top of the List

Every item in a canvas course has a "Previous" and a "Next" except for the last item in a course which does not have a "Next".

SpeedGrader should behave similarly. When the Speedgrader setting is displayed to show students' submissions in alphabetical order by student name, after cycling to the last student submissions in a Gradebook column the "next arrow" in the top right corner of the course Gradebook should no longer be visible. Currently as I just cycle through the student submissions I automatically click on the "next arrow" and then end up returning to the top of the list to a student's submission that I have already graded. This SpeedGrader cycling back to the top of the column to a student's submission that has already been corrected is not necessary and is slightly disorienting the first time it is experienced.

6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@VHDL2STA 

Thanks for sharing this feedback about Speedgrader. Are you using the default setting in Speedgrader to display student names alphabetically? I find that when I switch the setting to "by submission status," clicking on the Next button will take me to the next assignment that needs grading until I reach the bottom of the list, which consists of students who haven't yet submitted before cycling back to the top of the list. Is this the behavior you're referencing?

VHDL2STA
Community Member

Stefanie, thank you for your suggestion to use the Speedgrader switch "by submission status". But I feel more comfortable when Canvas student names are listed alphabetically which agrees with my college's class roster.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for that additional information, @VHDL2STA . We'll move this forward as a request to have Speedgrader's "next" functionality disabled when the setting is Alphabetical and the instructor has reached the end of the student list. I'll add a few clarifying details to the idea description so that it includes that focus.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme