Speedgrader Comment Library - Different libraries per assignment type

0 Likes
(22)

The new Speedgrader Comment Library feature is a welcome addition, but it would be more helpful if we could have more than one library. It would be ideal to have different ones based on assignment type. 

22 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

bizzyb_2000
Community Novice

@cadman_shane 
I definitely agree with this suggestion, as I teach more than one course per quarter at my institution. I really appreciate this Library comment feature. t would be great if the Canvas team could improve it so that instructors can organize "assignment comments" by course especially.

Right now when I load my Library of comments, I have a unruly repository of multiple comments for multiple classes. If comments can't be organized by assignment type, at the bare minimum, similar to the rubric feature, instructors should be able to organize comments by course so that feedback I created for a writing course does not end up in my comment library for an environmental studies course. 

cmarks1
Community Explorer

Our faculty would like a way to organize their comments so it would be easier to find the appropriate comment.

dawn_heuft
Community Member

In the interim we have suggested adding a "naming convention" to the beginning of the comment (see example below), it would be great for the library to have folders or collections so that we don't have to create our own system of "tagging" comments to identify which assignments we use them for.

Example: Course 120 Assignment 2.1

120 2.1 - Comment for the assignment. Lorem Ipsum

Once the faculty member adds the comment, they go back and delete "120 2.1"

stanlts
Community Explorer

The saved comments in the Speedgrader Comment Library is such a helpful tool. However, I would like to be able to have specific comments for each assignment, maybe the option to carry some comments over. I do not want to fill up the library with comments specific to one assignment, and then see them on all other assignments. The comments are also in all of my other courses. I do not need the same comments in my science course as I need in my English course. Thank you.

deborah_newton
Community Novice

It would be helpful if the comment banks could be assignment specific so that I don't have to scroll through a bunch of comments that don't apply to the quiz/assignment.

LisaSnow
Community Explorer

I would also like to have an option to use these saved comments for the rubric comments. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@LisaSnow A separate conversation requesting rubric access to the comment library is underway at Comments Library - access in Rubric comments .

VHDL2STA
Community Member

It is a great idea to save Discussion comments so that I do not have to transition back and forth between Speedgrader and my Word document that contains comment templates for the discussion currently being marked.

However when I correct a different discussion the previously saved comments do not apply anymore.

When instructors go to a different discussion the available comment templates should be a "clean slate" and empty ready to be filled by new comment templates that apply only to the new current discussion.

Otherwise by the end of the semester there will be lots of irrelevant comments that I will have to scroll through before I get to the one that I want.

Yes there is a simple solution of "deleting" old comment templates by overwriting them with new applicable comment templates. But this overwriting technique does not "seem professional"

fandrey
Community Member

The ability to group comments by assignment would definitely be a great feature enhancement. Similar to this other idea that's also in the "Open for conversation" mode.

VHDL2STA
Community Member

Yes the availability to create folders in the Speedgrader Comment Library would be great. 

The word "Library" is a key word. When I go to a local library the books are organized into categories (analogous to folders) so that if I want to borrow a book on Chemistry I know not to look for it in the History aisle. And a duplicate of each Chemistry book is not found in every category available in the library. Analogously, comments in the Comments Library should be contained in folders and, when needed, a specific folder should be then copied by the Canvas user into a Canvas template or semester course.

CarolynK2
Community Novice

Haved a bank of saved comments to use in Speedgrader is wonderful! However, there are so many different assignments that the dozens of comments become hard to sift through. Is it possible to have multiple banks of comments so that you can just choose one bank for a particular assignment or grade, etc?

Renee_Denham
Community Member

would also find this hugely useful, ability to save comments as generic (so available across all your courses / assignments) or being able to group or tag the comments, and a setting in speedgrader where you can select a specific tag (or tags)  to only pull comments from when filtering the comment library when you're trying a comment would be hugely valuable.

hrubin
Community Explorer

I am using the comments library feature much more this term and I would really appreciate the option to organize my library by assignment.  Thank you!

bourjaim
Community Participant

Upvoting this as well.  I have dozens of text files with comment banks in them that I have been copying and pasting.  Adding the Comment Bank in Canvas is a great idea, but it quickly becomes unwieldy due to the many different types of comments needed for different types of assignments.

candice_mcphers
Community Participant

I agree with this idea. It would be great to have a global library and then one specific to each assignment or a way to create categories that could be named for similar assignment types.  Our teachers have been asking for this.

SHAWNABERRY
Community Member

A bulk/global library PLUS a separate library for each assignment would be super helpful to keep comments organized and making grading easier!

clc
Community Member

Yes! And it would be great if we had the option to copy comment libraries from one course to another instead of having all the comments in every course. I teach senior and freshmen courses, their assignments are very different and require very different comments!

acaddy1234
Community Explorer

Better organization would be nice for the comment library. One of my faculty suggested being able to title comments because her comments are long and she has many of them. If the comments had titles displayed, that would help to easily pick one of many comments.

amanda_lemaster
Community Explorer

Or even different comments for each course and the inclusion of hyperlinks.