[Speedgrader] Comment Library - Select multiple comments

If you select a comment from your comment library and then want to add another comment from the comment library, the first one is deleted. 

It would be helpful to be able to layer comments. Our faculty would like to be able to select two or more comments from their comment library.

Added to Theme

16 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

tragarz_roberta
Community Explorer

Yes! And I can't figure out how to add more than one comment!

LynnLease
Community Explorer

Add your comment from the comment library and then click submit. Then you are given a fresh comment box, and you can select another comment from the comment library.

MoniqueRoth
Community Member

As currently configured, existing text in the speed grader is deleted when a comment is inserted from the Comment Library.  It would be optimal if comments could be added to existing text and if multiple comments could be inserted into the grading comment field.

pan
Community Explorer

Agreed with the suggestion

tam_nguyenmaith
Community Participant

This is a needed feature. As @MoniqueRoth mentioned, we would like to add comment(s) from the Comment Library to the existing text in the comment box so that we can compose feedback in one sitting.

VHDL2STA
Community Member

Having a library of comments is a great idea so that Canvas users can very efficiently select common response comments to student discussions in Speedgrader. Thank you for this existing Canvas feature.

However sometimes Canvas users may need to concatenate several comments based on what the students wrote or did not write. But the current mechanism is that newly selected library comments will overwrite previously selected comments. It would be very beneficial and efficient if comments could be individually selected and concatenated in the discussion response box using the Control Key which is a common concatenation identifier in many software utilities.

VHDL2STA
Community Member

The Canvas Research and Development Team may have more important tasks than implementing my  "modern" Control Key mechanism feature enhancement request. So here is an "ancient" copy-and-paste workaround:

(1) Select a comment from the Discussion Comment Library to be written into the Instructor Comment Box

(2) Select and copy this comment now in the Instructor Comment Box using the Control-A and Control-C key stroke sequence

(3) Select another comment from the Discussion Comment Library which will consequently overwrite the comment that was  previously written into the Instructor Comment Box

(4) Position the curser at the bottom of the current comment in the Instructor Comment Box and concatenate the previously Control-C copied comment into the Instructor Comment Box via the Control-V paste key stroke

(5) Continue by editing, as needed, the two concatenated comments in the Instructor Comment Box

Though this "ancient" copy-and-paste workaround exists it would be more efficient to use the Control Key as a concatenation mechanism which is what many Canvas users are used to using from their experiences with other software utilities. So it is preferable that Canvas implements my Control Key concatenation feature request when they have the time to do so.

slbergh
Community Participant

This is definitely needed! The comment library is great, but I don't have just one thing to say on an assignment. I say the same things over and over, but in different combinations depending on the student's work. I'm currently doing the add comment-select and copy- add new comment-paste-select and copy technique and it's gotten pretty old pretty quickly.

VHDL2STA
Community Member

slbergh posted "I'm currently doing the add comment-select and copy- add new comment-paste-select and copy technique and it's gotten pretty old pretty quickly. "

Yes I agree that " it's gotten pretty old pretty quickly " especially for those Canvas users who are already familiar with the usage of the Control key to append several selections into a dialog box instead of having them overwrite each other. But right know this "add comment-select and copy- add new comment-paste-select and copy technique" workaround is all that we have. Hopefully Canvas will in the near future implement the Control key feature that I wrote about in a previous post.