[DocViewer] Speedgrader/DocViewer support for Apple Pages, Numbers and Keynote

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

We would like to propose an enhancement to Speedgrade that allows the tool to display files created in Pages. I am assuming this incompatibility affects Numbers and Keynote.

Speedgrader will allow the file to be uploaded, it just won't view in Speedgrader.  Instructors can download the file, but cannot view it for grading in speedgrader

Added to Theme

23 Comments
laura_price
Community Novice

I am new to this "voting" process, but I hope that this issue is still being looked at.  Our students are 1:1 iPads, and having them limited to only submitting PDF files of their work is taking away some rich content just as audio and video files embedded in their Numbers files.  Please consider this feature!  

don_bryn
Community Champion

Maybe I'm not doing something right, but I can't even see jpeg or png files in speedgrader.   I always have to download the images, grade, and re-upload.  It would be great to have the apple apps too!

ronmarx
Community Contributor

Thank you for this idea. It's quick and easy to vote for, and may garner unexpected support from K-12 teachers and students alike. Apple used to "own" more than 50% of the K-12 market, but now I'm not so sure. Still and all, their market share in this market space is substantial, and direct support for grading in speedgrader would be great!

guntiss
Community Novice

Many students in my class use .pages, it would make life so much easier for them

and a time saver for me (going through the extra step of downloading & reading, adding comments & uploading or commenting online, -- wastes time, when grading 100 essays.  

jessica_gregers
Community Member

Yes, please support Pages, Keynote and Numbers in SpeedGrader without having to download each file! Downloading each file really takes the 'speed' out of 'SpeedGrader'.

petern
Community Contributor

I'm trying to reopen this idea because I think it's important.  

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/16172-apple-pages-in-speedgrader 

vailj
Community Explorer

I just want to echo what everyone else has said. We are an iPad school and my teachers are not using Canvas as much now because Speedgrader can't view Keynote, Pages, and Numbers files. PLEASE ADDRESS THIS! 

alexfischer
Community Explorer

I would also like to add my voice to this.  We have now become a 1-1 Apple school, and teachers are being shown how to use Pages to create interactive worksheets or Keynote to create amazing presentations. 

I would love to be able to view everything within the speedgrader, as with 120 kids, downloading, watching, adding comments, uploading, is not practical.

Pages, Keynotes, and Number support in Canvas is crucial!

chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Support for apple file types is definitely needed in Speedgrader.  Even though we are a Microsoft university and have Office available to all students and faculty, we still have a number of apple users who prefer to use pages/keynote.  It's very confusing for faculty when students submit something and it doesn't display in speedgrader nor can they download and open it.  I know there is the option to restrict file types by extension, but that isn't foolproof either.  Maybe at a minimum having a warning telling students their teacher may not be able to open the file (if they upload an unsupported type) would work here.

-Chris

alexfischer
Community Explorer

Adding my voice to this as well.  We are a 1-1 Apple school, with students having iPads.  We receive training on how to have students create amazing products using iWork software, but it's simply not realistic for a teacher to download hundreds of assignments.