Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedgrader/DocViewer support for Apple Pages, Numbers and Keynote

Speedgrader/DocViewer support for Apple Pages, Numbers and Keynote

(8)
We would like to propose an enhancement to Speedgrade that allows the tool to display files created in Pages. I am assuming this incompatibility affects Numbers and Keynote.

Speedgrader will allow the file to be uploaded, it just won't view in Speedgrader.  Instructors can download the file, but cannot view it for grading in speedgrader

21 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Rick,

Thank you for the link to the previous idea!

This idea will move forward for voting in January!

brandonhazzard

When is the voting going to begin?

biray
Community Champion

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. January 6, 2016 - Wed. April 6, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

brandonhazzard, I just checked and voting is now open!

mnemeth

We also would like to be able to see Formulas in Excel through Speedgrader so we can quickly grade and not have to open each students file separately for grading.

biray
Community Champion

178724_pastedImage_9.png

Thank You for taking the time and energy to submit and discuss your idea. Your feedback helps our product teams prioritize feature development so we can build a product you will love. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. All feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and may influence product direction.

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to stay invested in Feature Ideas process of making Canvas better!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is one of the lucky ones that was selected to get a little more time for voting as part of our evolution of the feature idea process.   It was selected because of it's vote count and/or comment thread.  

*Selection criteria: Most (not all) ideas that received 70+ votes in their initial voting round.

cbeckett

I added my vote on the basis that it would be great to see excel formulas without have to download the files. A feature to switch formula view on and off would be perfect.

ronmarx
Community Contributor

@Rick Murch-Shafer's fantastic comments on December 1, 2015 have not been superceded by any of the ones following. In a few short sentences, Rick explained, I think, why a lot of things work the way they do in Canvas. If this idea gets enough traction, which I think it has, then the folks at Instructure will have to push and support its vendor, Crocodoc, to support Apple file types.

On the other side of this user-feature equation is possible the instruction to students using whatever content creation software, to save/print their documents in universal PDF files for submission purposes. This is an extra step for them, but saves Canvas from doing what this idea will require them to do!

khirschmann1

It seems that now that Docviewer has supplanted Crocodoc, this is now a distinct possibility. 

laura_price

I am new to this "voting" process, but I hope that this issue is still being looked at.  Our students are 1:1 iPads, and having them limited to only submitting PDF files of their work is taking away some rich content just as audio and video files embedded in their Numbers files.  Please consider this feature!  

don_bryn
Community Champion

Maybe I'm not doing something right, but I can't even see jpeg or png files in speedgrader.   I always have to download the images, grade, and re-upload.  It would be great to have the apple apps too!

ronmarx
Community Contributor

Thank you for this idea. It's quick and easy to vote for, and may garner unexpected support from K-12 teachers and students alike. Apple used to "own" more than 50% of the K-12 market, but now I'm not so sure. Still and all, their market share in this market space is substantial, and direct support for grading in speedgrader would be great!

guntiss

Many students in my class use .pages, it would make life so much easier for them

and a time saver for me (going through the extra step of downloading & reading, adding comments & uploading or commenting online, -- wastes time, when grading 100 essays.  

jessica_gregers

Yes, please support Pages, Keynote and Numbers in SpeedGrader without having to download each file! Downloading each file really takes the 'speed' out of 'SpeedGrader'.

petern
Community Contributor

I'm trying to reopen this idea because I think it's important.  

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/16172-apple-pages-in-speedgrader 

vailj

I just want to echo what everyone else has said. We are an iPad school and my teachers are not using Canvas as much now because Speedgrader can't view Keynote, Pages, and Numbers files. PLEASE ADDRESS THIS! 

alexfischer

I would also like to add my voice to this.  We have now become a 1-1 Apple school, and teachers are being shown how to use Pages to create interactive worksheets or Keynote to create amazing presentations. 

I would love to be able to view everything within the speedgrader, as with 120 kids, downloading, watching, adding comments, uploading, is not practical.

Pages, Keynotes, and Number support in Canvas is crucial!

chriscas
Community Champion

Support for apple file types is definitely needed in Speedgrader.  Even though we are a Microsoft university and have Office available to all students and faculty, we still have a number of apple users who prefer to use pages/keynote.  It's very confusing for faculty when students submit something and it doesn't display in speedgrader nor can they download and open it.  I know there is the option to restrict file types by extension, but that isn't foolproof either.  Maybe at a minimum having a warning telling students their teacher may not be able to open the file (if they upload an unsupported type) would work here.

-Chris

alexfischer

Adding my voice to this as well.  We are a 1-1 Apple school, with students having iPads.  We receive training on how to have students create amazing products using iWork software, but it's simply not realistic for a teacher to download hundreds of assignments.