[DocViewer] Speedgrader/DocViewer support for Apple Pages, Numbers and Keynote

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

We would like to propose an enhancement to Speedgrade that allows the tool to display files created in Pages. I am assuming this incompatibility affects Numbers and Keynote.

Speedgrader will allow the file to be uploaded, it just won't view in Speedgrader.  Instructors can download the file, but cannot view it for grading in speedgrader

Added to Theme

23 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Rick,

Thank you for the link to the previous idea!

This idea will move forward for voting in January!

brandonhazzard
Community Novice

When is the voting going to begin?

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. January 6, 2016 - Wed. April 6, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

kona
Community Champion

brandonhazzard, I just checked and voting is now open!

mnemeth
Community Member

We also would like to be able to see Formulas in Excel through Speedgrader so we can quickly grade and not have to open each students file separately for grading.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

178724_pastedImage_9.png

Thank You for taking the time and energy to submit and discuss your idea. Your feedback helps our product teams prioritize feature development so we can build a product you will love. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. All feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and may influence product direction.

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to stay invested in Feature Ideas process of making Canvas better!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is one of the lucky ones that was selected to get a little more time for voting as part of our evolution of the feature idea process.   It was selected because of it's vote count and/or comment thread.  

*Selection criteria: Most (not all) ideas that received 70+ votes in their initial voting round.

cbeckett
Community Novice

I added my vote on the basis that it would be great to see excel formulas without have to download the files. A feature to switch formula view on and off would be perfect.

ronmarx
Community Contributor

@Rick Murch-Shafer's fantastic comments on December 1, 2015 have not been superceded by any of the ones following. In a few short sentences, Rick explained, I think, why a lot of things work the way they do in Canvas. If this idea gets enough traction, which I think it has, then the folks at Instructure will have to push and support its vendor, Crocodoc, to support Apple file types.

On the other side of this user-feature equation is possible the instruction to students using whatever content creation software, to save/print their documents in universal PDF files for submission purposes. This is an extra step for them, but saves Canvas from doing what this idea will require them to do!

khirschmann1
Community Novice

It seems that now that Docviewer has supplanted Crocodoc, this is now a distinct possibility.