[Announcements] Start and End Dates

I would like to be able to put an end date on my announcements at the time I create the announcement.  Then, for example, the announcement I make about textbooks at the start of the semester could be hidden within two weeks.  I do not want to have to remember to go back and hide the announcements.

Added to Theme

54 Comments
vancej
Community Participant

To be honest, I am surprise that we have to suggest this. Students are not reading the posting date. Other competitor products have this option already.

jsharp1
Community Member

As I begin getting my Canvas courses ready for summer, I am again reminded how beneficial adding starting and ending dates functionality for Announcements would be! I am again left with only two choices: 1) Delete all my announcements and recreate them when I need them (duplication of efforts as I use the same announcement script) or 2) Edit every announcement to change the Delay Posting date prior to the start of the course. Neither of these options is preferable and each takes an enormous amount of time I could be spending on the actual development of course content.

I am willing to partner with anyone wiling to start a concerted letter writing campaign to convince Instructure to remedy this issue after three years!

bmacon
Community Member

I would be more than willing to sign that letter. It is very frustrating and seems like such a simple feature to add. My fix has been to create a discussion thread that I never publish, and I keep all announcement in that thread. When I need one, I go in and copy paste, then post as an Announcement.

brianuoit
Community Member

Having a start and end date without deleting the announcement is a bit of QA as well.  Students can try to complain they were not informed, but you can show the time the announcement was visible.  If you delete the announcement, the student has a case - you did not post the announcement.

LisaC32
Community Member

Yes please add end date to announcements.  I want them to go off the student's to do list so they aren't overwhelmed or bogged down.  

KathleenITC
Community Member

Teachers need the ability to add a date range to Announcements within their Course so that it will automatically "hide" the announcement when the range ends instead of having to go back and delete from the long list of announcements created. 

AU69
Community Novice

Yes. I'd like the ability to have a start and end date for announcements and any content for that matter. I would like to be able to easily see what information/dates have passed by a deadline date so I could easily delate it. I don't want to have to open up every announcement or posting. I am coming from Blackboard. I can put end dates on things. I can then easily see what is no longer viewable to the students and I can delete that information. I am also coming to this a bit differently because I am not using this as a course but as a resource for students within our school. The typical class structure doesn't apply.

Thank you.

cpgalt
Community Participant

I support this suggestion!

Start-End dates and Publish-Unpublish buttons were suggested in another comment thread that began in 2015 and STILL (Dec 2020) has not been implemented, despite input from an Instructure person that they were working on it soon (in 2015) and continued comments (nearly 200)  supporting the idea up to Dec 2020. Frustrating!

g2g
Community Member

In announcement edit page - add a "hide" in the 3 dot option (delete, allow comment)   

This option will allow to retain past quarter announcements which the information will be pertinent but will need edit and released  later in the quarter. Hide it from the viewer so it can be hid, edited and updated easily. Currently. I use delay posting which is tedious clicks and time consuming.  thank you.  

hesse151
Community Explorer

I always modify my course settings to show the 2 most recent announcements at the top of the Canvas home page. However, I don't always send out announcements every week, so the 2 most recent announcements can get outdated. I'm suggesting a feature to automatically remove announcements from the recent announcements area based on a set duration of time. For example, a default setting of one week would generally be the right amount of time. This would clean up my Canvas home pages and remove information that becomes outdated or irrelevant.