[Announcements] Start and End Dates

I would like to be able to put an end date on my announcements at the time I create the announcement.  Then, for example, the announcement I make about textbooks at the start of the semester could be hidden within two weeks.  I do not want to have to remember to go back and hide the announcements.

Added to Theme

54 Comments
RobDitto
Community Champion

Voted!  @thjackson , I love this idea and think that it would be great for Announcements to have publishing and Available From/To dates, similar to other Canvas features.

In case you haven't already seen them, here are some currently open ideas about the Announcements feature:

cholling
Community Champion

@thjackson ‌, I second Rob's comment. I love this idea and know most of my faculty would love it as well.

ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Great idea,  @theresajackson7 ‌. The easier it is for us to set-it-and-forget-it when it comes to the mundane adminsitrivia of communicating with students, the more time we will have for focused attention on their immediate and unique needs.

don_bryn
Community Champion

This would definitely be an improvement.  It would move announcements being more like. . Well, announcements instead of open discussions.

meichin
Community Participant

Just a note to Canvas engineers - this will be really good for students as the announcements page will end up being less cluttered and they will be able to see the forest for the trees.

jhart3
Community Novice

Having brought this up last year, it's nice to see there is a renewed interest in it from fellow educators.  I just learned recently that administrators have had this feature for some time:  "open announcement date, close announcement date, and publish/unpublish.  Since the code is already in the system, it needs to be incorporated into instructor websites.

tr604
Community Novice

I think it would be better if any user could dismiss or show any announcement as well as archive it as opposed to start and end dates.  This isn't Blackboard.

bmacon
Community Member

I love this idea for another reason. When I copy a course in to a new semester, I LOVE having all of the prior announcements saved for me to use again. Having open/close dates for student viewing allows my new course to have all announcements NOT viewable to soon. 

brooksfj
Community Novice

I agree with Brian. I have to course copy over 20 courses for our department each semester. It is so nice to have all the announcements there where I can input the open and close dates. Students stop reading announcements if they see old one's there for awhile. One of the very few features I liked from Blackboard that isn't in Canvas. 

kls
Community Novice

There are announcements I use for each class and would like for all to remain for next semester.

Also ----- some announcements I only want up for a week or two, then once we're finished discussing the issue, I want it to disappear -- but not be deleted.

Someone mentioned 'Blackboard' which I never used as I've been teaching since only 2010 at VT.  We used 'Scholar' and this open/close feature was great for recurring announcement for future classes.

Can't be that hard.