Static Toolbar for New Rich Content Editor

Because all of the important features for linking and adding documents have been moved from the sidebar in Canvas to the top of the Rich Content Editor, it would beneficial (and user-friendly) to have the toolbar remain static at the top of the screen when scrolling through the Rich Content Editor. As it is now, I scroll down to an area and want to add a link or attachment, but I have to scroll back up to reach these tools on the toolbar, which means I have to hope my cursor is still in the correct spot. Having the toolbar remain at the top of the Rich Content Editor, no matter where I scroll, would improve efficiency and ease of use.

Melissa Rasmussen

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-07-15) 

69 Comments
pbaucom7773
Community Novice

Same here. This change has taken a massive hit to my efficiency.

jennifernichols
Community Participant

I find myself switching back and forth between the old RCE and the new RCE to meet my needs, especially as we have continued more with distance learning. 

charcarlat
Community Member

Hi. I am at char@arenapros.com if you wouldn’t mind sharing if you can come up with a solution. Thanks! 

dslusser
Community Participant

Hi Everyone,

Here's a very beta and imperfect solution until (* IF *) Canvas ever fixes this issue. This was whipped up in a couple of hours, so I'm sure I've missed some bugs, issues, and/or use cases.

What it is:

• A Tampermonkey browser extension that creates a sticky RCE toolbar at the top of the browser window when the user scrolls past the default location of the RCE toolbar.

What it is not:

• A perfect solution. It can definitely be improved.
  • A finished solution. I'll continue to tweak it in my free time...If I can ever find that these days.
  • Bug free. There are most certainly bugs and UI/UX anomalies that I've missed, or that I've decided are worth living with until I have more time to work on it.
  • It does not fix the insanely annoying jumpy behavior of the editor upon first edit. I haven't explored this issue enough to see if that's able to be addressed. My hope is that Canvas will soon address it so that I don't have to.

What are my hopes and dreams for this project:

• I hope that Canvas fixes all of the issues so that I can abandon this project quickly.
  • I don't intend to support this long-term, so I'm crossing my fingers for an official Canvas solution; but I'm also not holding my breath.
  • I would love to end support for this project by the fall of 2020, but I'll have to see what Canvas does for us.

Known issues: 

• Some issues when attempting to edit multiple quiz questions at one time. Workaround: Only edit one quiz question at a time.
  • Alt+F9 toolbar doesn't scroll along with the main RCE toolbar
  • ???

TODO (and wish) list:

• Add HTML button to top RCE toolbar. I haven't fully explored this, but it's on the top of my personal list.
  • Keep the RCE toolbar in the editing box when scrolling past the content area.
  • Bring along the Alt+F9 toolbar when scrolling.
  • ???

How to install and use:

• Install and enable the Tampermonkey browser extension.
  • Install this script ( rce-ui.user.js ) and enable it in the Tampermonkey dashboard.
  • For most people, those two steps are all that should be needed. If you wish to change the settings or your Canvas instance uses a custom domain, then you will need to edit the user script.

How to get help:

• Mention ( '@' ) me here.
  • Email me - dslusser@palcs.org 
  • Please be patient if I don't reply quickly. I try to be as active as I can in the community and check my inbox frequently, but sometimes I forget. I don't take offense to multiple emails or follow-up emails, sometimes I need a reminder to check my Canvas inbox :-).

@charcarlat ‌

mmrasmussen
Community Participant

Daniel,

You are amazing! Thank you so much for creating this. While it’s not perfect, it is a significant improvement over the current RCE tool bar.

Thanks so much!

Melissa Rasmussen,

Director of Instructional Design

Manchester University College of Pharmacy, Natural & Health Sciences

10627 Diebold Road

Fort Wayne, Indiana 46845

T: 260-470-2670

cgaudreau
Community Contributor

@dslusser  Thank You

Outstanding. Installed and active.

kdickso
Community Participant

@dslusser ‌

THANK YOU. As soon as I am done tweaking this massively overdue conference paper I'm giving tomorrow I'm going to give it a go.

Many, many thanks!

Katrina

gulick_24
Community Participant

Jennifer I do the same thing--switching back and forth b/w old RCE and new RCE. It's excruciating.

gulick_24
Community Participant

Lori- I agree, it's the only button at the bottom, and is really oddly placed down there. Canvas should put it at the top with all the other editing buttons.

gulick_24
Community Participant

Thank you! Installed and active.