Static Toolbar for New Rich Content Editor

Because all of the important features for linking and adding documents have been moved from the sidebar in Canvas to the top of the Rich Content Editor, it would beneficial (and user-friendly) to have the toolbar remain static at the top of the screen when scrolling through the Rich Content Editor. As it is now, I scroll down to an area and want to add a link or attachment, but I have to scroll back up to reach these tools on the toolbar, which means I have to hope my cursor is still in the correct spot. Having the toolbar remain at the top of the Rich Content Editor, no matter where I scroll, would improve efficiency and ease of use.

Melissa Rasmussen

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-07-15) 

69 Comments
akinsey
Community Contributor

I'm with everyone else here - as we have rolled this out instance-wide, there are some definite issues without this being static. Thank you  @dslusser ‌ for your work in the interim! 

hankampp
Community Member

OMG, thank you  @dslusser , this Tampermonkey script is a life-saver for editing long pages. I was just on the phone with Canvas support, and they do hope to have this bug fixed no later than December 2020.

dslusser
Community Participant

Awesome, I'm glad it's working! That's also really encouraging that Canvas is looking to continue to build out this new RCE. I was pretty concerned with the previous roadmap of the new RCE being forced on all institutions in June; there's still much to be desired in its current form. It looks like that roadmap has been adjusted to December. Thanks for the update!

shorts
Community Explorer

Re-posting this here. Yes, either keep the toolbar at the top and move the html toggle to the toolbar or remove the auto-expand feature that causes the RCE frame to expand to full length, hiding the toolbar. Also, if the auto-expand feature stays and the toolbar is made static at the top, we need the html toggle back at the top. Scrolling back and forth from top to bottom and all around, expecially since the RCE auto jumps to different places randomly, is quite cumbersome. 

Currently, it's a constant unnecessary scrolling game. Click on the space you want the bullet, scroll to the top, click the bullet tool, scroll back down, hit enter to add another bullet... oops for some reason it auto-scrolled me to the top again... OK back to the place I want to edit... now adding a link, click on the place to add it, back to the top and choose one of the internal links I want... nice, it's in, but I want it to open in new window in this case... scroll to the bottom to the HTML toggle since the open in new is not an option in the toolbar anymore... CTRL F to find the link I want, code the open in new and scroll back to the bottom of the page to the HTML toggle.... 

It's a bit frustrating and time consuming to do even simple tasks and it appears the frustration can be resolved by just getting rid of the auto-expand feature or keeping that feature but making sure the toolbar and HTML toggle stay in view at all times.

Here's a quick video demonstrating the scroll battle - https://www.loom.com/share/7b9f9b63d5ca4b0d8107400fe169f99a 

dslusser
Community Participant

350851_pastedImage_1.png

shorts
Community Explorer

Haha! Yep.

debra_russell
Community Novice

Totally agree Phil.

debra_russell
Community Novice

This is a huge problem for me too Isaac.

reddicmd
Community Explorer

I would also prefer that the old icons were still visible. Hiding them simply means one more click to reveal the choice of features and then another click to activate the particular feature. Who, exactly, is helped by this minimal toolbar?

Sylvia_Ami
Community Contributor

Thanks  @shorts ‌ for the video. Now I know I'm not crazy thinking it was just me.