Static Toolbar for New Rich Content Editor

Because all of the important features for linking and adding documents have been moved from the sidebar in Canvas to the top of the Rich Content Editor, it would beneficial (and user-friendly) to have the toolbar remain static at the top of the screen when scrolling through the Rich Content Editor. As it is now, I scroll down to an area and want to add a link or attachment, but I have to scroll back up to reach these tools on the toolbar, which means I have to hope my cursor is still in the correct spot. Having the toolbar remain at the top of the Rich Content Editor, no matter where I scroll, would improve efficiency and ease of use.

Melissa Rasmussen

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-07-15) 

69 Comments
nataliet
Community Member

Not much to add. Except yes, yes, please, yes.   Editing assignments/pages/etc... has gotten infinitely more cumbersome.  The Table editor is always hidden which is a huge pain if you use the more advanced features.

kathrynmccullou
Community Member

You can go into your settings within your assignments, and just turn it off.

gulick_24
Community Participant

@jwadec @Stef_retired Every time I make a change to the text while editing in the new RCE, my pages scrolls back up to the top. This is a real pain when editing pages, as every single time I edit text, I have to scroll way back down to the part of the page I was working on. Any help would be seriously appreciated... editing is taking forever this way.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@gulick_24 Thanks for adding your comment to the RCE Updates blog thread! That's the best place for it.

gulick_24
Community Participant

I've noticed the "full screen" option in the RCE editor now--super awesome! But, then I lose the "save" button on the bottom right corner of the page. I don't see it anywhere else on the page, and I couldn't figure out how to save the content without a save button. Had to close the page and re-do all my edits. Where does the save button go?

jasongriffith17
Community Member

Video upload times have drastically increased with the new RCE.  A 45 min zoom file would upload in about 10-20 seconds in the old RCE.  In the new RCE, it takes 5-10 minutes.  

EtabMohammed
Community Member

sorry your video is not working link the video again please so I can see.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed