Streamline "file upload" and "text entry" assignment submissions to avoid student oversight

0 Likes

Panopto student submission assignments take a snapshot of a student streamed video at the point in time that it is submitted; a student cannot edit their streamed video within the submission container. This assignment type must use the "text entry" assignment option. For any file uploads, our institution checks for similarity via Turnitin (Plagiarism) Framework; the "file upload" assignment option. When creating an assignment in Canvas, I am able to select both the "upload" and "text entry" options but can only submit one at a time i.e. I have to upload documents and "submit assignment", then make another assignment attempt to add the Panopto video and "submit assignment". This one at a time submission option creates Teacher administration as students claim to have submitted their assignment fully when only half of their assignment has been successfully submitted. There is no prompt to indicate to students that they have partially submitted to the assessment when either the "text entry" or "file upload" assignment component has not been added.

3 Comments
KateABBOTT1
Community Explorer
Author

Essentially, we get requests from teachers to create one assignment point that satisfies file uploads, some of which require similarity checks (i.e. Turnitin Plagiarism Framework) and video. We use Panopto as it streams recorded videos and avoids the large data load on a LMS. More and more assessments are using this combination of file and video, but the task isn't straightforward and the administration falls to the teaching staff in the first instance.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

Hi @KateABBOTT1 -

Thank you for sharing your idea! I'm sure that other instructors could find great use cases for requiring a specific number of submissions (or files) in an assignment. 

Your idea is Open for Conversation.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.